How to Convince your Parents to Homeschool You

How to Convince your Parents to Homeschool You - by Ashlyn Taylour

So you’re interested in homeschooling, but your parents aren’t so fond of the idea. They won’t listen to you when you say you don’t like your school; that you want to homeschool. They think you’re crazy. Out of your mind.

Honestly, it can be tough to get your parents to agree to homeschool you if they not familiar with it. I was forced into homeschooling by my parents, so I never went through this struggle you’re going through.

However, I do have some tips that will help you convince your parents to at least consider homeschooling. So before you approach them with the idea that you want to homeschool, read on.

First, find out as much information as you can about homeschooling. Research. Your parents will have questions, and you need to be prepared with answers. I recommend you read the article “Frequently Asked Questions about Homeschooling” by New Hampshire Homeschooling Coalition which is linked in the external link. Read that and then go from there.

You’re thoroughly prepared. You know homeschooling better than the back of your hand. I can guarantee that your parents will have questions. As of now, they think that you won’t have a social life if you homeschool, you won’t have a good education, it’ll too hard, etc. They’ll most likely believe the majority of the lies in this book. Your job is to show them what homeschooling really is. Show them that you will have a social life, you will have a good education, and that it’ll get easier. The article I mentioned in the previous paragraph proves all these points and more.

Also, you might want to make sure that homeschooling is legal where you live. And learn if there’s anything you have to do, to homeschool. I’ll have you know that, in the US, homeschooling is legal in every, single state. All 50 of them. Each state has different policies regarding it though. However, I cannot speak for other countries. You will have to research that for yourself.

Second, decide that you’re really up for this. Realize that homeschooling to public school is like light to dark. Completely different. It’ll take time to get used to. To get comfortable with. I wouldn’t recommend starting homeschooling in the middle of high school. Unless you have a really good reason, don’t do that, because it’ll just cause so much confusion.

With homeschooling, there are tons of different options. Everyone homeschools differently. There are hundreds of different books to choose from. You won't find your perfect match, the first time around. There’s online homeschooling as well as traditional homeschooling. My first few years of homeschooling were so back and forth. The first year was basically my mom trying to figure out how to keep up with homeschooling three kids at once while taking care of her other two. She didn’t really know what books she was supposed to use. We literally switched curriculums every year. However, there is no one, set-in-stone, way you have to homeschool.

The point is that in the beginning, it will be hard, your parents will have to think through what curriculum to use. And you may hate it your first year. If so, try something else, try other books, a different curriculum. That’s the thing with homeschooling. You can do what you want; what you excel at. In public school, you have to do what they say, and use the books they say to.

There will be distractions. Trust me, I struggle with these daily. It’s so easy, when I’m researching on my computer, to just visit Wattpad, and then before I know it, an hour has passed with me doing no schoolwork. You will get behind in your work because of these distractions. It takes a lot of self-control to stay away from these. You have to be able to get your work done.

Just think it through, and make sure that you are positively positive you want to homeschool. Because if you have doubts, your parents will too.

Third, see if there are any homeschool co-ops, and what opportunities there are for you in your city. Co-ops are great places where you can take educational classes with other homeschoolers. I will go into further detail about them in a later chapter. For now, just know that they’re very helpful in improving your homeschooling experience.