Chapter 48

Weeks later, Imperial Concubine Ting Mei's burial was held. The skies were gray and those present wore white, symbolizing grief.

As the sound of the drums dimmed, King Fei Jian walked up to the stand with white chrysanthemums in hand. He held no expression not wanting his emotions to get through.

Then, his footsteps came to a halt as he reached her, who laid there so peacefully. She was now free from the illness that ate away at her.

Those who watched in this dead silence couldn't help but to shed tears.

Fei Yang's expression was distraught, trying to hold back the pain. Once again, was he sending off his mother to a faraway place.

Those lips that pressed together, parted with a tremble. He knew his mother was sick, but she always told him it was the common cold. A horrible lie it was that she shared.

His gaze casted to the ground, he gave a quiet huffed sob as eyes shut tightly for a moment then opened.

The prince looked to the side to see her there beside him, and an empty hand.

Even now, she stood by him, who always considered himself to be alone. He asked himself the same questions every time.

"Who are you exactly?"

"Do you love me?"

"Who am I to you?"

"Do I love you?"

"Who are you to me?"

To her, he is the sun that lights the world, and to him, she is the moon that lights the path when in the darkness.

With hesitant hands that shook, he slowly reached out to grab hers. If he held her, would that mean the unanswered questions will fade away?

Or would the lost him return?

The princess upon feeling the touch of another, looked to the side to see him. She fell into surprise that he'd be the one to hold her, but didn't mind it at all.

As long as she is with him, there was nothing to be afraid of.

After moments of silence, the king then pulled the white cloth to cover the woman who laid in the casket. Seeing her go on without him was dreadful.

No one knew their story that held regret.

Walking alone on this path to the Night Palace, was Fei Yang. The moment the ceremony ended, he immediately told Wen Yue to leave as he wanted to be alone at the grave of his mother.

Now that darkness has come, the prince had to return to his palace. He didn't know how to feel at all now that another has left.

The young man sighed heavily with glistening eyes.

Reaching the entrance of the Night Palace, he noticed someone standing there.

Coming to, he saw it be her.

"Why are you out here?" he asked.

Wen Yue gave a frowned smile as she pulled out a coat underneath the one she wore, and placed it on him.

The 4th prince didn't know how to react but stood still for her. Looking at her this close, he could feel the pounding of his heart.

"She's too kind."

"I was waiting for you." she spoke with a solemn expression. "I wanted to make sure you came back."

Hearing her, he wasn't sure what to say as in this moment he still did not know her.

Once again, he reached to hold her hand, "You didn't have wait for me." his voice low. "You'll get sick doing so in this cold weather." deep down he cared for this woman.

"It's okay," her hand squeezing his. "As long as I know you're coming back, that doesn't matter."

He felt his chest tighten at those words. It felt so bittersweet.

"Princess Wen Yue......."

Pulling him, she guided him to his chambers, "Come, I've already prepared dinner for you. I cooked it myself." a sheepish grin.

Following along behind her, his eyes softened and mind becoming clear.

"Why is it that with you, I can be myself?"

In the Gold Palace, was King Fei Jian in his grand chambers. He sat alone as he drank liquor to try and forget the pain.

The pain of losing someone dear to him.

It was heart wrenching knowing he couldn't do anything to save her, who was slowly wasting away from illness.

Just thinking about it, he poured another cup and took it all in one shot. Finished, he slammed it onto the table, breaking the porcelain item in the process.

Those broken pieces cut into his skin, allowing blood to peer through. He simply gazed at it deciding not to do anything else.

These cuts were nothing compared to the anguish overflowing within him.

He met her long ago when they were in their teenage years. She was the daughter of a high ranking noble and he was just a prince before the selection. They made a promise to each other as the years went by.

She would be his princess, and he her prince.

However, fate couldn't do them the favor.

Having won in the selection of the Crown Prince title, he no longer could choose his Crown Princess.

Dreadfully, she watched as he married another.

As time went by, she soon entered his harem. 

He gave her all his love but she couldn't. All she could do really was give him a night.

They tried hard and every time she'd end in miscarriage caused by the jealously of the other women.

Driven apart, she then refrained from seeing him.

Even till the end, did she not ask to see nor hear of him.

One thing she did know and kept to herself, was that she indeed still loved him the way she did since long ago.

She couldn't accept all the love he gave her when there were many others who sought it.

Stricken with an aching heart, he hovered over to rest his head on the table as he sobbed agonizingly with streaming tears. His eyes were hot and head hurting from everything.

He wanted her to come back to fulfill the promise.

Even if he is the king with a queen, he was still the prince who had his princess.

His princess, Ting Mei, was now no longer within his grasp, but somewhere faraway.
.
.
.