17. Trouble

Chitra sat all dolled up in heavy ornaments and pleasant smelling flowers as she looked at herself in the huge mirror and her bright red bridal lehenga made her skin glow bright like a beautiful moon. For the first time, she felt beautiful, but as time passed these heavy ornaments were almost suffocating her as she sat waiting. The rituals have already begun and from what Meenamma said Arjuna was already near the stage waiting for her but according to the priest almost half an hour was left for the bride to enter the stage.

She couldn't believe that she was getting married and that to a king? This was never a part of her dream, she wanted to go somewhere with no royal chaos but looks like life had another surprise for her. Arjuna was a perfect man any girl would dream about, he was too kind and noble for a royal but also a perfect king from what Vikram said. Will his family like her? Arjuna happened to mention that he has a sister, would she be like Priyamvada? Or will she treat her like a sister?

This must be a happy ending, Chitra thought. God must have really felt bad for giving her such a bad fate till now so he is trying to compensate her by giving Arjuna as her husband. A small smile crept on her face as she thought about Arjuna.

But her dreams were a bubble and bubbles are destined to burst at some point, but she never realised that her bubble might burst this quick.

A loud Siren startled Chitra, it was an emergency alarm as far she knew, was something wrong? Chitra was worried beyond words. What if Priyamvada found another way to interrupt her wedding?

A small group of men dressed in black jumped straight from the window, they had some greasy substance around their hands. But how did they enter? Arjuna has arranged heavy security all around the palace! Her senses finally realised that she was in trouble, she immediately turned around only to find that one of his men had placed a knife on Meenamma's throat, preventing her from screaming for help.

"Are you the princess marrying that pathetic king?" A masked man asked her, he had placed his right foot on the edge of and was playing a knife in his hand- not it's not a knife it was a sword.

Unable to answer Chitra just nodded her head in fear,

"Kill that old hag and drag this woman out." He ordered his men and in a swift, a man marched forward and pulled his sword out.

***

Something seemed wrong, Arjuna noticed the heavy air around as he was performing the rituals he has to do before the bride arrives.

A loud Siren made his doubt come true. He immediately got up not bothering the fact that he was not supposed to get down the stage once the rituals have started.

"Vikram!" Arjuna almost shouted and in seconds Vikram stood in front of him with his hand ready on his sword, "Go and guard Chitra!"

With a curt bow, Vikram marched his way to her chambers only to find it empty. But what worried Vikram was spots of blood around the mirror. Was she harmed? As he looked around he found some traces of black tar. Tar? What could this mean?

"Vikram! Where is Chitra?" Arjuna asked as he walked inside, without any say he understood that Chitra was abducted. The blood around the mirror almost scared him and all his thoughts were clouded with Chitra's face, she is in trouble and he should act quick.

Arjuna moved towards the window only to find black tar, and it goes unsaid that tar means bandits.

"King Arjuna? Oh my god, where is Chitra?" Asked Vishnudas, with a concern which was fake, one more fake family member, Arjuna thought.

"I am here to inform you that the royal Pandit seeks for your presence at the stage." Vishnudas moved forward as he spoke, "He warns that a royal wedding can not be stopped-"

"So what do you suggest, prince?" Arjuna turned around to face him, he easily towered that prince as his hands itched to pull his sword out and kill this useless prince, "That we both marry each other?"

"What? No, I meant-"

"I only take Chitra as my wife!" Arjuna's voice came out stiff and angry which scared the prince as he stepped behind with a slight shiver, "I don't care what you or your royal Pandit thinks! So do me a favour and gather your army!" Saying Arjuna looked at Vikram.

"Vikram."

"My lord!" Vikram moved forward, his hand ready on his sword to carry his orders.

"This is clearly a work of bandits. You take the responsibility of the soldiers and trace the route in which they came and have kidnapped Chitra."

"Arjuna!" Ratan walked inside, "I will that responsibility of finding those-"

"No!" Arjuna concluded, he knew what Ratan wanted to do, find those bandits to increase his respect and credit. But he can't take any risks of losing Chitra.

"Vikram has been dealing with the bandits' issue so he is the right person for this. So Ratan, you take the responsibility of the investigation process around the palace, without an insider's help they wouldn't have stepped in."

Arjuna moved towards Vikram, laying a hand on his shoulder he said, "Vikram, these bandits disappear into thin air the moment they enter the forest area. We should find them before they reach the forest, so we should be quick."

"Prince Vishnudas, lead us to your security head. We will need your help to find Princess Chitra." Said Arjuna in an ordering tone.

Vishnudas has accepted the defeat. This king was smitten by his step-sister beyond words and there is nothing he could do to convince him to marry his sister instead. Priyamvada was more than upset that her marriage had been cancelled but the moment she got the news about Chitra being abducted, she was convinced that this was her chance to pull this king towards her.

But to her bad luck, this king has already fallen for Chitra. And now no one can make him swing to the other side.

And soon everyone walked out of the chambers to do their tasks. All the roles were decided, the sooner they follow their roles the faster they would reach the princess.

But Arjuna failed to notice Ratan's frustrated face.

Ratan paced around the chambers, irritated and frustrated uncontrollably.

Again, he thought. Once again Arjuna has chosen to give an important task to Vikram. What did Vikram have that he lacked? Vikram was nothing more than a security head. While Ratan was a responsible minister, he is highly respected in his kingdom. But Arjuna was always partial towards Vikram for some unknown reason.

However this time, he will not let Vikram have all the credit! He has a plan, a plan to replace Vikram.

* * * 

Hey there! Don't forget to press the star down here 🌟