Chapter 66

The wolves who noticed Krey's return bowed at their Alpha. Krey hoped to one day tell them to stop bowing at him, but his Alpha traits enjoyed the pride. He moved to Sid who was prodding his scabbed wounds with a wet towel. Krey sat in front of his Delta wolf who jumped at the sight of him.

Krey leaned forwards and whispered, "Francis is the new Beta. Treat her as such from now on."

Sid showed no surprise, only nodded with a curious smile. "I wondered when that would happen, now that the traitor is dead." Jordan's name was too foul in anyone's mouth. His disloyalty was too raw and too painful.

"You also saw potential in her, didn't you?"

"Yes. I think most wolves here were expecting it. You've kind of treated her like your Beta for a few weeks now. Will you tell the pack?" Sid covered up his clawed shoulder and tightened his self-made sling. His arm was healing, but not strong enough to use.

"Not yet." Krey looked around. Pip was by the kettle, making some tea and talking with Francis. They both had big smiles, and the morning sun basked them in a warm light. Francis was trying to dim her glowing happiness. They still had serious matters to discuss, and a storm brewed in the distance, but there was always a reason to smile.

Makena was sitting on a chair in the corner, staring hard at Francis like she had personally insulted her. Krey shook his head and turned his attention back to Sid. "Got any better ideas than storming through the front door and fighting until one of us dies?"

"I do actually." Sid's eyes flicked behind Krey. "And I think you'll like it."

Francis soon left the room to get in touch with the Shadow Pack and Pip found a chair by the window to drink his tea. He glanced around, trying to smile at the werewolves around him. Some smiled back, but nobody talked to him. Pip didn't try to spark a conversation either, he was too nervous. What could he say to a werewolf? 'Hi, what colour are your wolf eyes?' Didn't seem like the appropriate conversation starter.

Every time his gaze found Krey, he was in a deep discussion with Sid. When Francis returned, she announced that Viktor's Beta wouldn't let her speak to Viktor about the Shadow Pack and that he would come back to get her when Viktor was ready.

Krey was annoyed, but captured her in their conversation, then all three of them started discussing intensely.

Pip could have wandered over to see what they were talking about, but he knew it was about fighting, and getting back their home by fighting. The thought of what was yet to come dug into Pip's gut like a knife, twisting his insides.

Pip just wanted to enjoy his tea and empty his mind while he still had the luxury to relax. As much as he wanted to stare at the snow from the window, his eyes were drawn to Krey like a cat's eye to movement. Whenever Pip tried to blank his mind, Krey was the first in his thoughts. As Pip held the warm mug, he wished it was Krey's hands warming him up.

Pip just wanted to be in his arms again.

The next time Pip glanced to Krey, he was surprised to see a hint of a smirk on Krey's lips as he stormed through the room, stopping in front of Mark.

Mark backed into Victoria, startled. The entire room silenced.

"We're sending you in first," Krey said bluntly, crossing his arms.

"What!" Mark squeaked, seeming to shrink under Krey's blazing gaze, like paper on a fire. "Me?"

"Yes, you." Krey's eyes were dark and intense. Mark struggled to stare back, so he looked to Victoria for help. "We're sending you in first to distract them."