Chapter 19: To Win

The sound of balls bouncing, and shoes gliding on the floor of the gymnasium was all you can hear. Your gaze observed the players from both your team and the opponents.

Today is second day of the tournament and Karasuno's playing against Aoba Johsai. They're currently practicing spikes and receives while you are helping your team by collecting the balls they've used.

(Note: I've took inspiration from this random scene of Kindaichi, Yahaba and Yachi from the second season.)

Yahaba and Kindaichi was watching your interaction with their opponents as they've took a break for a moment.

"She's pretty too, but she's friendlier than their senior manager," Yahaba commented, referring to Shimizu who wore a blank expression.

Unlike you, who was smiling happily around your teammate like a certain giant didn't broke your heart last night. Since you weren't ready to face him yet, you'd intentionally started avoiding him. You concluded that you'll just answer him if he speaks to you, but Tsukishima wasn't talking to you either.

"Y-Yeah, I think her name's Y/N..." A blush creeped on Kindaichi's cheeks and a creased formed on Yahaba's forehead as he looked at his friend.

"They call her by her first name??"

"Seems like it..."

"Oh! Here she comes!" Yahaba's face lit up as he saw you approaching a ball far away from them, so he threw another ball to you, acting like it was an accident.

The ball hit you lightly and after you picked it up, you heard a guy thanking you as he runs to you. You gave him a smile and as you were about to walk to him, a member from his team went for a spike and it bounced on the floor towards you.

You squeezed your eyes shut as you prepare for the ball to hit you, but someone wrapped their arm around your shoulders as they deflected the ball.

Before you opened your eyes, deep down you expected the person who protected you to be Tsukishima, but to your dismay, it was the captain of Seijoh.

"U-Uhm, thank you for helping me." You politely said as you back away and Oikawa took back his arm. Yahaba did a full 180 when he saw his captain and he dragged Kindaichi away with him.

"Then why do you look disappointed?" Oikawa flashed you a smile as he placed a hand on his waist. Your interaction with him didn't go unnoticed by your friends, especially Tsukishima who was scowling at the moment.

"Excuse me?"

"Ah, never mind. I'm Oikawa Tooru, by the way."

"I'm Kuroo Y/N, nice to meet you Oikawa-san." You gave him a friendly smile as you thought what a nice person he is. Of course he's your opponent, but that doesn't mean you can be friends.

"Can I call you Y/N-chan? Ah, you call me Tooru." He said in a light-hearted manner as he pointed to himself.

"Okay, Tooru-san!" You were cheerful and Oikawa thought he should be happy that you said his name, but he didn't want you to add a suffix.

"Look at him, flirting right before the match," Makki sweat dropped while looking at you and Oikawa.

Iwaizumi was beside him and he was fuming because their captain was slacking. He threw a ball on the back of Oikawa's head and this made you jump.

"T-Tooru-san?! Are you okay?!" You frantically asked.

Oikawa finally lifted his head, "I've been summoned," he laughed awkwardly, "See you around, Y/N-chan! It was nice to meet you!"

He ran back to his teammates and Shimizu approached you while asking if you were fine. After you assured her, it was announced that the game would begin.

So you ascended to the auditorium and took a seat in front of your team's banner as you anticipated the match. Oikawa waved at you in the line up and you did the same. But of course, you cheered for your friends again with the two adult who once played volleyball against the team when Asahi and Nishinoya just got back.

Throughout the whole game, your face held several emotions; like joy, anxiety, anger and excitement. You were especially sad when Yamaguchi failed as the pinch server. You had the urge to run down below just to hug your poor friend, but it wasn't allowed.

In the end, grief covered your facial expression as tears slowly ran down your cheeks. The pain was so real and it's because you had witnessed how your friends practice non-stop everyday and how they've tried their best just to stay on the court. You all believed that the team could win that's why they were so determined until the end.

Eventually, you got back to them with the banner in your arms. You were avoiding to look at their faces since it hurts to see them all in pain. But the only one who wore a neutral expression like he expected they wouldn't win, was Tsukishima.

Anger was forming inside of you because you fully know that Tsukishima just treats volleyball like a club, like he would regret putting much effort into it if he gets passionate.

You understand his point, but you honestly think he's just being a coward, afraid to go further because of the risk. That's why he's not showing improvement, and you don't like that he thinks like that.

When you all arrived in Karasuno High School, Ukai told everyone to go home and have a rest. Since you, Yamaguchi, and Tsukishima all go to the same direction, you decided to walk home together.

A weird atmosphere surrounded the three of you. Yamaguchi wore a conflicted expression as he bit his lower lip, but when it's time for him to go separate ways, he forced himself to give you a smile.

"See you tomorrow, Y/N-chan, Tsukki!" His said in a brittle voice, and before he could turn away, you embraced him.

"I don't know what to say to you, Yamacchi, so please accept my hug." You said in a soft voice as you pat him on the back before releasing the freckled angel.

Tsukishima was still silent as you both watch Yamaguchi's retreating back before walking away when he was completely gone.

Because of the devastating result of the match, Tsukishima didn't invade your thoughts even though he's right beside you. Silence surrounded the both of you as the warm sunlight shone against your skin.

When you arrived at your house, before you can say goodbye to the giant, he said, "It's just a club, don't let it affect you that much."

What he said finally ticked you off so you glared at him.

"Yeah, you're right, it is just a club. But what's more important than winning even if it's just a club?! What's more important than achieving what everyone worked so hard for?! I don't want to be like you! Constantly tasting loses just because of my cowardliness!" You angrily yelled and Tsukishima's eyes were wide. He didn't expected to be scolded by you.

"It's the best to win knowing that you did your absolute best! So don't you dare tell anyone that it's just a club!" Tears were streaming down your face at this moment and Tsukishima was dumbfounded.

You wiped your tears using your hand before running inside your house, leaving Tsukishima outside.

++++

Author's Note:

Happy 5k reads!!! AHHHHHH I'M OVER THE MOON RIGHT NOWWW!

Thank you so much for always voting and commenting here! You guys are the reason why I'm trying my best to write and improve! Love you all!💖

UNEDITED