31: Entwine

Loki was reading in his chambers when a familiar knock sounded against his door. "Come in." He said.

The door opened to reveal his mother, who walked in with grace. "How are you doing?"

"Better." Loki said, setting down his book. "I have you and Katha to thank for that."

Frigga sat beside him. "You do."

"How is she?"

"Well. It seems she placed a... crude, but effective barrier in place of your spell. She may have some trouble recalling certain things, but her mind won't collapse." Frigga said.

Loki nodded. "Why did she do that in the first place?"

"Isn't it obvious?"

Loki rubbed his forehead. "It can't be that."

"Why not?"

"Because I'm... You know." Loki said.

"Does she know?" Frigga asked. "About your other heritage?"

"Yes."

"And she still chose to save you. I don't know why you doubt this."

Loki was quiet. "I don't... I don't deserve her."

"Loki. You are a good man. Have you ever stopped and wondered if she deserved you?" Frigga asked.

"She deserves better."

"Well, I don't think she could find anyone better than yourself." 

"I wish I could believe you, Mother."

~~~~~~

In her next lesson with Frigga, the queen kept giving her a look out of the corner of her eyes.

"Allmother?" Kat asked.

"Yes?" Frigga said innocently.

"What?" Kat asked.

"What do you mean?" Frigga asked in the same tone of innocence.

"You've been looking at me weird all day." Kat said.

Frigga sighed, and sat down across from Kat. "I suppose I have."

"Can I ask why?" Kat raised an eyebrow.

Frigga looked at Kat, and the latter felt like the queen had taken a peek into her soul. "You love him."

Kat froze. When she remembered how to move, she looked down at her lap. "I- I- I don't know."

"Love isn't something you don't know, darling." Frigga said gently.

"It's... I just... I can't know. I can't... Not until I take this off." Kat held up her bracelet adorned wrist.

"And why is that?" Frigga asked.

"Because when Percy and I split... He uh, didn't keep all his feelings for his fiancee to himself. Venus gave this to me so that I wouldn't feel that way toward Annabeth." Kat explained.

"And you're worried that if you take it off you'll still hold affections for her?"

Kat nodded.

"Wouldn't it be better to know sooner?"

Kat closed her eyes. Then she stared at the bracelet on her wrist. Frigga watched the conflict dance across her face. Then the goddess grabbed at the leather cord, and yanked. It snapped, the pieces falling to the floor.

Kat gasped. She looked up at Frigga. Then she fled.

~~~~~~

Loki wasn't startled when Kat appeared in his chamber. He was, however, surprised when he saw her eyes.