eighteen

"What you seek lies in front of you

"What you seek lies in front of you...as does what you fear," Red Skull announced.

"The stone is down there," Natasha stated.

"For one of you. For the others... In order to take the stone, you must lose that which you love. An everlasting exchange. A soul, for a soul."

"What a load of bull," Pixie muttered before sighing and walking away to sit on a log.

As she sat down, flowers bloomed on the log. Clint sighed, running his hands over his face. Natasha walked over and sat next to Pixie, resting her hand on her thigh.

Clint turned and looked at Red Skull. "How's it going? Jesus... Maybe he's making this shit up."

Natasha shook her head. "No, I don't think so."

"Why, 'cause he knows your Daddy's name?" Clint retorted.

She sighed. "I didn't. Thanos left here with the stone without his daughter. It's not a coincidence."

Clint nodded. "Yeah."

"Whatever it takes," Natasha whispered.

"Whatever it takes," Clint repeated.

Pixie looked between the two. "Am I missing something?"

Natasha nudged her nose against Pixie's temple. "I love you." She stood up, addressing the two. "If we don't get that stone, billions of people stay dead."

"Then I guess we both know who it's gotta be," Clint concluded.

"I guess we do," Natasha replied.

Clint held Natasha's hand and she reciprocated and they looked at each other. Pixie didn't like what they were talking about, but she decided they needed to have their moment. She stood up from the log, and as she walked toward Red Skull, patches of grass grew underneath her feet.

"Can you die?" she asked.

He only looked at her.

"You're ugly," she stated.

Clint knocked Natasha to the ground, causing Pixie to turn around and rush toward Natasha.

"Tell my family I love them," Clint pleaded.

Natasha returned the favor by tackling Clint to the ground. "You tell them yourself."

She electrocuted him and she ran toward the cliff, but vines wrapped around her ankle, pulling her toward the ground.

"I'm sorry," Pixie peeped.

Clint scrambled up to his feet and ran toward the cliff, but vines pulled him down as well.

"I don't want any of you to die," said Pixie, walking over to Natasha.

"Pixie, the world is at stake," Natasha reminded.

"I know," she whispered, reaching her hand out to stroke Natasha's cheek.

"I'm sorry." Natasha quickly grabbed handcuffs and wrung Pixie's hands behind her back before locking the handcuffs into place. Then, she ripped off the vines and ran toward the cliff.

"NO!" Pixie screamed, arms wrangling around her back.

Clint ripped off the vines and kicked Natasha back before running off the cliff. Natasha scrambled up to her feet and jumped after him, grabbing onto him and clipping him to a rope as she shot her grappling hook. They both hung from the rope, grunting as their backs hit the rock.

"Damn you!" Clint cursed, trying to grab her hand.

Vines rose from the ground, making their way to the lock of Pixie's handcuffs. They wiggled around in the lock until the handcuffs unlocked and fell to the ground.

Natasha was slipping away from Clint's grip, as she looked down. She looked back at Clint with a soft expression on her face.       

"Let me go," she said softly.

"No," Clint responded, tears welling up in his eyes. "Please, no."

Pixie scrambled onto her feet once the handcuffs were off, then ran toward Clint and Natasha. She peered down at the cliff and willed vines to grow around Clint and Natasha, securing them so they wouldn't fall.

"Pixie, no!" Natasha cried.

Pixie began to sob. "I can't. I can't let you two die. I can't - I can't."

"It's okay," she reassured.        

"No, it's not! How can I let you die? Either of you? You guys are earth's mightiest heroes. They need you. They don't... They don't need me."

"Pixie, don't you dare," Natasha spat out, voice trembling.

"I'm sorry," she whispered. "I love you."

She stepped off the cliff. Time seemed to love in slow motion. Natasha and Pixie locked eyes, tears in their eyes. Natasha couldn't breathe as Pixie fell, hair whipping through the air. Finally, she fell, plummeting to her death. The dark red contrasted against her tan skin and black hair. Natasha had never been more scared to see the color red before, and she had seen a lot of it. She screamed loudly, not noticing that the vines were beginning to crack and crumble. Clint pulled the two of them up as quickly as he could. He held her tightly, cradling her head to his chest as she sobbed.