50

As luck would have it, there was a cell check the next day. Jinx, of course, went for Ray again. Either Ray was bad at hiding things for Jinx was good at finding them, because it wasn't two minutes later that we heard Jinx talking to Ray.

"What in the hell are you doing with a whole fourteen packs of cigarettes? And where the fuck did you get five dollars in cash?" Jinx asked.

"Fuck," Colby whispered. The cash was to buy a nicer newspaper for one of the guards to keep them distracted the day of the escape. We had to wait until the day before we were leaving to actually pay someone to go and get it. The fourteen packs were for the six guys Ray was originally busting out with. Two for each of them, two for him.

Those guys had recently decided they weren't all too happy with Ray bailing on the plan. He also hadn't told them enough specifics for them to pull it off on their own, so they were mad about being given so much hope only for it to be plucked away from them.

"It's fine. We'll just figure out a way for Big to talk those guys down from doing anything," I sighed.

Colby and I were sure that we were in the clear until we heard Jinx loudly laughing a few moments later, but not in a humorous way.

"Oh, the irony. Haven't seen one of these classic tricks since the 60s," Jinx said from downstairs.

"What's he talking about?" I whispered to Colby.

"It's Big. He's got... a bible? What the hell's wrong with a bible?" asked Colby.

"Oh no," I whispered, remembering what Jaz had said. "Big's got heroin."

"Pulled the oldest trick in the book. Literally," Jinx chuckled. I didn't need to see to know what was happening.

Jinx had opened the bible Big had in his cell. Inside of the book was a space carved out in the middle of the pages where Big had hidden a syringe. It was one of the most cliché ways to hide drugs in prison, but wasn't a bad idea. You know, except for the part where he was doing any drugs in prison at all.

"I've been waiting for a slip up, Dennis. You've been here for what, twenty years now? I haven't been able to put you away once. Not until now. Come on, buddy. Hole," barked Jinx. I heard handcuffs click and some keys rattle, then Big and Jinx's footsteps fade away.

Everyone was practically silent for the entire morning count and walk to the cafeteria. The air had an uneasy feeling.

"I get that he's never gotten in trouble like that before, but what's the big deal?" I whispered to Red.

"You're the big deal," he replied.

"What?" I asked.

"Big has been running this damn place since he got here. Never missed a single meal, single day on the yard, single time in the gym. When the leader's gone, someone's got to step in and take his place," said Red.

"Great, I nominate you. Or Blaze. Or Shag. Or Rock. Or anyone but me," I said.

"You'll see," Red said. By the time we got our trays and turned to walk toward our tables, there were three guys sitting there. "Ready to understand it now?"

"Uh, no," I whispered. I started walking toward a different table, but Shag grabbed my arm and yanked me back.

"That's our table," Rock said.

I realized that it wasn't about the table. The table was just a symbol. Whoever sat at that table was in charge. Whoever sat at that table got what they wanted.

"Not anymore," said one of the guys.

"Yes, anymore," Blaze said. He walked up to the table and slammed his tray down onto it. "Leave, Lee."

"No," the guy responded.

"Get," Shag said, walking over and repeating Blaze's actions. I realized everyone else around us had stilled, waiting to see how this would play out. Lee and his guys still didn't budge. Red and Rock did the same thing, producing no new results.

"Looks like without big boss man, you're just a bunch of big headed pricks," Lee laughed. Blaze looked over at me and nodded. Damn it, I had to be a part of this. But what if they didn't leave when I walked over? Whatever. I didn't even have much to lose anymore. Theo was dead, the plan was off until we could get more cigarettes and cash, and Big was in the hole.

"Nessa, you know you don't have to do this," Sam whispered.

"She knows. She's going to do it anyway," Colby replied. Yeah, I was. I started my walk over to the table, feeling everyone's eyes on me.

"I'm not big boss man. How does little boss lady sound instead?" I asked.

"It sounds fucking stupid," Lee said.

"Great. Then you can think of a better name for me. At your own table," I said.

"This is my own table," he said. Damn it. Now I had to be all dramatic. I really hate men sometimes, viewing life as some big power struggle where you had to prove your dominance. Don't get me wrong, girls are brutal too, but it's not usually a fight to see who can punch the hardest. I guess these guys just needed a little wake up call.

"You sure?" I asked.

"I am. It's mine. And no one gets to disrespect me at it," Lee replied. I set my tray down and walked over to Lee, who was sitting in Big's seat.

What the fuck was I supposed to do? I'm not going to beat the dude up right now. I wasn't all pissed off like the other day. Lee could totally kill me. I needed to just embarrass him. Do something so immature that it'd make him want to bail instead of fight back. I stared down at my tray, and then back at him.

Well, that's one idea.

"You just going to stand there and stare at me, girl?" Lee asked. "Hey, Brock, I'll trade you cellmates," he laughed. Oh, god damn it. He just had to bring Colby into this one.

"Stop it, Brock," I said. I wasn't facing all of the trap guys who were still standing near the table, but I knew Colby was already walking over.

"Aw, cute. He takes orders from a girl," Lee said. Okay, yeah. My shitty plan was going to have to do. I picked up my tray and then turned away from the table. I started walking a few steps away and waiting until Lee started laughing with victory.

Once he seemed pretty pleased with himself, I turned around and smacked the back of his head with my tray. I pushed it downward, causing his face to slam down into his pile of food.

"You said no one gets to disrespect you at your table. So clearly, this isn't your table," I said.

"Fuck you, bitch!" he yelled, wiping food out of his eyes.

"Mhm. Now leave my table," I said. He was visibly shaking with anger, his fists completely clenched. He seemed like he was about to start swinging until Jinx walked into the cafeteria and started laughing.

"Oh, this is hilarious," he said. Everyone stared up at him. "If all it took was one girl to show you guys that being complete fucking animals doesn't get you anywhere in life, I would have stuck one in here a long time ago."

"Move," I growled at Lee. He angrily shook his head, but got up and stomped off. "Aw, cute," I called after him. "You take orders from a girl."