epilogue

Natalia Alianovna Romanova had lost the love of her life

Natalia Alianovna Romanova had lost the love of her life. Pixie Chapman wasn't the first lover she had, but she had the largest impact on her. Pixie was not just a lover. She was the love. She taught Natasha how to love herself and someone else at the same time. She reminded Natasha that being human was not a bad thing. She reminded Natasha when to eat and that nourishing your body was a good thing for the soul. She had sacrificed herself for the world - to return the fifty percent of the human population that were grieving and missing. But most importantly, she sacrificed herself because of the love she held for Natasha.

Pixie never got a proper funeral because they didn't have a body to bury Pixie. Instead, they sent flowers out onto the lake in her honor. Natasha didn't think it was very fair, but if she always got what she wanted, there wouldn't have been a need for a funeral in the first place.

"Did you know - " Natasha dryly chuckled " - that we had a dream we were going to adopt kids together? Or that we would get a surrogate? We didn't talk much about the details."

She was attending Tony's funeral, along with everyone else who played an important part in his life. It was solemn and dark - something Natasha was very much used to. She was getting tired of it. She had to "get over" her friends disappearing in the Snap, then the death of Pixie had been the final straw. Natasha was sitting under a tree with Clint next to her.

"Anyone in mind for the surrogate?" he questioned.

She sniffled. "We were probably gonna ask one of you guys. Probably you."

"Me?"

"Why wouldn't I ask you?" she retorted, taking out Pixie's handkerchief to wipe her nose. "You're my best friend, Clint, and Pixie knew that before she - Yeah."

Clint tugged Natasha in for a hug. "She did it for you. Honestly, if I shoved myself off that cliff without you diving after me, she probably would have let me go."

"Good joke. Pixie would never let that happen. She's too nice," Natasha retorted.

"Yeah, you're right. I'll miss her chocolate cupcakes."

Natasha dryly chuckled, staring holes into the dirt beneath her. She would miss Pixie's desserts, food, rambling, and the soft touch of her warm and inviting skin.

"We should make some together," Natasha suggested softly. "On your little farm. It might be time for me to retire."

"What are you going to do?" Clint asked.

"Besides making chocolate cupcakes with you?" she asked. "I don't know. I don't think I'll go out on the field anymore, but maybe I'll train recruits or be an ambassador. What do you think?"

He shrugged. "I think you could be an ambassador. What about a personal bodyguard?"

"Maybe," she whispered. "But I'm not sure if that's the life for me. I sort of did that with Tony already. I think I'll just focus on making chocolate cupcakes. I'm going to try to make them better than Pixie's."

"Good luck with that. She was the best cook and baker ever. Not even Laura - love her - can beat her," he retorted.

"Well, I'm sure I can," she whispered softly. "The process will have her laughing up there. She always told me I wasn't great at baking."