59 // I Will Wait

Harry's POV

I've been sitting here for over 10 minutes and she still hasn't texted me back. Is she mad at me all of a sudden? Did I say something wrong?

I sit in my suitcase, the same way I've been doing so since I got here. People have passed by, some asked for pictures, others just took them without my consent. I'm sick, feel like a total fucking loser, and to top it all off I have no idea where Lili is or how far away from the airport she is or if she's even coming or not.

I think the most embarrassing thing was when I looked over at saw someone's phone camera out. They didn't even try to hide the fact that they were taking a picture. And here I am, trying to get ahold of Lili looking like a fucking dumbass.

Not only was I wearing a painter like jumpsuit, but I was also wearing one of Lili's shirts underneath

Not only was I wearing a painter like jumpsuit, but I was also wearing one of Lili's shirts underneath. But in my defense, she had left it out when she packed up her things earlier today and I need something to wear under the rest of my outfit anyway. It was sort of a win-win situation. And either way, she's worn things of mine before, so it's only fair.

I felt almost neglected sitting here alone, even though that's the furthest thing from what I should be feeling. She's driving, of course, she's not going to answer her phone. That wouldn't be safe.

I try calling her again and—shockingly—she doesn't pick up this time either.

I wasn't sure what to do. Our flight home had been delayed by an hour and she still hasn't shown up to the airport or responded to any of my calls or texts. I texted her repeatedly where I was waiting for her, hoping she'd at least see it. It gave me a piece of mind knowing that she could just look at her phone and know where I was, even if she wasn't going to show up.

My foot taps on the floor anxiously, there now being only 30 minutes until our flight boards. I just wished she would text me or call me or do something so I know she's not in trouble or anything. The possibilities of the situation that ran through my mind were driving me mad.

To at least try to distract myself until she gets here, if she even does, I plug my headphones into my phone to listen to music. Honestly, I prefer wired headphones over my Airpods because they just too small and get lost. Plus, I can use the cord to turn my music up and down without having to even touch my phone. You can't do that with Airpods, now can you?

I open my Apple Music and go straight to my most recent playlist. I know I said I wanted to distract myself from the thought of Lili, but it was nearly impossible. My most recent playlist was purposely filled with songs that reminded me of her. I made it a few days ago, in case she ever asked me to play music in the car or something. I wanted to be able to look at her and relate every lyric I heard to her.

Of course, the very first song to play as I'll Be Seeing You by Billie Holiday. When I hear this song, I picture Lili and only Lili. Every time it played, I pictured her running through a field of grass, she's wearing a white dress. It's long and white and flowy. It moves effortlessly like waves behind her as she turns around to look at me. She smiles, her hair carelessly flowing behind her, just as her dress did. Everything about her in this picture was just so angelic, I wish I could have it painted on my eyelids and look at it all day. Instead, it played through my mind like a movie. Which I didn't mind, I still got to see it some way.

Sometimes when I listen to slow music, I think of her and me together. I could never express how happy it made me when she said she wanted to be with me as much as I wanted to be with her. Although I knew she had no idea how much I adored her and it probably was much more than she felt for me, it was still nice to hear.

I want her to meet my mom again, as more than just a fan now. Gemma too. I wanted to know what they thought of her if they liked her as much as I do. Their opinion is important to me, and I have a feeling they'd like her.

I closed my eyes, my nerves kicking back in again. I was more nervous that she wouldn't show up at all than that she would just be late. She would never do that to me though. I don't think, at least.

I'd really wish people would stop taking photos of me right now. I didn't even have to see the camera to know there were both pictures and videos being taken of me, without my permission. I wanted to be left alone right now, but if someone came up and asked for a picture, I would say yes. That's something I've never been able to understand. Why take a picture of me instead of a picture with me? It's far less awkward on both ends and it makes me less uncomfortable. I just don't get it.

I'd already met a few fans who were super sweet about asking for a picture with me. Those are the fans I've always liked to meet the most, the ones who don't scream in my face or pass out when they're talking to me. I try to have casual conversations with them, given the fact that they are the people who give me a job and have given me everything I have. But sometimes, some get too excited and like lose every bit of control they have.

Today, one of them had asked me to record a video for their friend Ellie, and I didn't know how gone my voice was until I started talking for the video.

I sit in my suitcase listen to music for a little while longer, still awaiting Lili's arrival. I kept one earbud out, just in case anyone tried to talk to me or there were to be any announcements or anything from the speakers. That's when I hear it. Our flight had 10 minutes until we had to begin boarding.

I had a choice to make...do I stay here and wait for Lili? Or do I board the flight?

I stand up, preparing to pick up all the luggage I had been sitting on and around.

Suddenly, there's a faint voice calling after me. I wasn't sure if it was just my mind playing tricks on me, since it was the one voice I've never been happier to hear than right now.

"Harry!" She calls after me again, her voice louder this time, telling me that this was indeed reality. I turn around to see Lili running past people walking in the opposite direction.

Practically every single person in the entire airport was looking at her as she ran toward me, but at this point I couldn't care less. She ran directly into my arms, a relieved smile on her face the entire time.

As my arms wrap around her, I let out a sigh of relief, feeling like crying.

"Lili," I breathe out raspily into her hair. As we pull away, I smile, so incredibly grateful for her timing. I search her eyes with my own and I can see the stress still in them, as if something happened.

"Harry, your voice." Her eyes widen at my voice and how it was almost completely gone.

"I know, I know," I acknowledge it briefly before changing the subject, "I tried calling and texting you, why didn't you pick up?"

"My phone died. But I bought a charger at the little gift shop and then plugged it into the wall," she explains, out of breath from running through the airport, "and then I saw all your texts and I really thought I had missed our flight because I didn't know what time it was and..."

She takes a deep breath, practically gasping for air.

"Shh, it's okay," I assure her, "you don't need to explain yourself. You're here now and that's all that matters."

"I'm so so sorry Harry." She looks like she's on the verge of tears.

"Don't be, it wasn't your fault!" I say to her wholeheartedly. "You're here, and we can go home. Our flight is boarding in a few minutes."

"Shit," she says suddenly.

"What?"

"My luggage is still at the villa."

A soft smile spreads over my lips as I step to the side so she could see behind me. I gesture to her suitcase that had been sitting beside me the entire time I waited for her.

She sighs. "You. Are. Incredible."

"I know," I joke, shrugging and smiling cheekily. "Come on, let's get home."

As we begin to walk quickly to the gate, she suddenly stops.

"Oh, I uh, got your tea by the way. I almost forgot it, but I remembered," she chuckles holding up the grocery bag.

* * *