lion

Enjoy the 2 new chapters! You guys deserved it! Thank you so much for 226K reads!

"If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one." —Dolly Parton

——————————————————

Chapter 54
<———————>

Kade handed me the medium sized coffee as soon as I was inside. I thanked him with an abundance of gratitude. Since it was December, the temperatures outside were relentless.

"I got grilled cheese with bacon," he told me, handing me one of the plates.

I opened it, breathing in the delicious scent. I lifted the bread, dropping it when I heard Kade.

"I told them no eggs," he noted, nodding towards my plate.

He remembered.

I bit back a smile. "Thank you," I said to him. "This looks so good."

He nodded, starting the car up. My eyes ran over him carefully. I could sense something was off.

"Are you alright?" I asked.

His fingers tightened around the steering wheel. Other than that, it seemed as if he were in a trance.

"Kade."

I didn't receive a response. I decided to reach out, placing a hand on his arm.

I jumped in my spot as Kade reacted to my touch. He swung his arm away from me, retreating into his own space. His eyes were glossed over as he glared at me.

"What?"

I stared at him in shock. "Maybe you should pull over." Whatever was bothering him, I wasn't sure if driving was the best idea right now.

After I left dinner last night, I spent the entire night digging into BPD. I wanted to be able to understand a bit of his mind, to compare and contrast the information to him. I wanted to know.

I thought over it for a minute before asking, "Did something happen last night?"

His eyes remained ahead. "No," he responded with a curt voice.

I nodded, even though I didn't believe him. "Kade—"

"Kimberly," he snapped at me. "Just leave it alone."

I froze with shock. "I just wanted to know—"

Kade swerved the car into a different lane, his eyes narrowing at the road. "Did you ever stop to think that I didn't want you to know?"

He never met my eyes. Instead, he continued to glare at the road. I bit my tongue to stop myself from responding. Whatever it was, he could come to me on his own about it.

I recalled some of what I read: to leave them alone if they asked it, but to reassure and provide support if they asked of that, as well.

Whatever was bothering him had pulled him in, so I'd leave him alone until then. I'd seen some topics on a borderline's anger, at how it unleashed when constantly provoked. I wasn't going to do that to him.

I'd speak with Kade about boundaries in order to instill the respect on either side. If he felt like he was getting too close to the edge, a simple code word would ensue it. I'd do the same, since with my anxiety, there were days where seeing someone breathe too hard would send me into an annoyed frenzy.

The rest of the ride to school was silent. The tension was thick, but to stop my mouth from running, I ate my breakfast. I stared out the window, contemplating on what could have happened between yesterday afternoon, last night, and this morning.