Chapter 2

Without thinking, I shove the curtain open revealing a vivid view of a huge moon and the eerie darkness extending vastly as far as the eye can see.

The castle is surrounded by tall trees and it's the only structure that I could see.

I flinched at the thought of what I did.

The sudden adrenaline rush made me do stupid things yet again. I anxiously questioned myself if this would make him mad.

I cowered as I turned around to meet his eyes that are surprisingly following every movement I make, curiosity evident in them.

“Why am I h-here?” I sobbed. I hate darkness the most. Yet here I am in a place that completely screams darkness.

“Your record says you died from an accident.” He said stoically, with what seems to be my record in his hands.

“A-and so..?” I stuttered, wiping off the tears from my cheeks.

“Souls who doesn’t accept their death are brought here.” He paused for a moment, squinting his eyes.

“Like yours.” He continued.

I tried to process the information but I’ve still got a lot of questions unanswered and it’s starting to make my head pound.

He squinted his eyes focusing on my face entirely and I felt so little as much as I already was.

He started to walk slowly towards me, curiosity evident in his eyes yet again.

“Your hair.. It has a nice shade on it.” He said vividly.

My heart skipped a beat at the sudden expression his face was giving.

“It wasn’t really silver..” I paused, recalling my waking life.

“When I was still alive..” I said.

“I see.” He said, sitting at the edge of the bed.

“It’s a shame that you didn’t ascend to paradise.” He continued.

Paradise? I murmured to myself getting lost in my own thoughts again.

“You mean heaven?” I asked.

“I guess that’s what human beings call it.” He shrugged.

I momentarily got caught in my own sadness. There was a chance that I could’ve went to heaven..

“Right. Let’s get to business.” He said standing up and facing me.

I followed his movement with my eyes as he rummaged through the closet, taking out with him a scythe.

I flinched at the sight of the long black handle and the silver sharp blade connected to it.

I shook vigorously as he pointed it towards me.

“P-please don’t..” My hands clasping together as I begged in agony.

I died already, I don’t want to die twice. He soon pulled the scythe and held it beside him.

“You’re saying you want to stay in that form?” He asked raising a brow.

“I don’t recommend doing that but I commend you for your bravery.” He finished. He must’ve seen my obvious trembling as he laid the scythe at the edge of the bed.

“I don’t understand..” I said, holding my arms as I tried to calm myself from shaking.

“I see. My apologies for not explaining.” He said, brushing his dark hair backwards.

He had a tint of a flush evident in his pale cheeks. Is he embarrassed for making a small mistake?

“You’ve got two options. First, you could retain your human form. Second, you can choose to reincarnate into a random different form.” He said, sitting on the chair and crossing his arms.

“Of course the only rational choice is reincarnation.” He shrugged.

What other forms will I take if I choose to reincarnate? I can’t even imagine the horror of taking a different form other than a human.

He must’ve seen my confused expression evidently showing as he continued to clarify further.

“Being in human form in here is dangerous. You can’t possibly get out of this castle because of the lost souls lurking around outside thirsty for a human body, and not to mention the man-eating creatures.” He said as I listened to him intently.

“Lastly, you’ll have trouble sleeping because succubus and incubuses disturbs humans in their sleep during the night.” He explained further.

“But on the bright side, if you choose to be reincarnated, you can freely roam the underworld without any worries.” He finished, throwing his hands in the air.

It was hard to swallow everything he said. The fear just kept on growing inside of me.

There’s no life for me here.

I just stared at him dumbfounded, gaining a lot more questions in my mind. Why do lost souls want a human soul?

“But I’m also a soul. How can they take over me?” I questioned, burying my hands in the covers with the attempt of hiding how visibly shaking they are.

“You got it wrong. In the underworld, you take a form of a body.” He answered.

My eyes widened as I discreetly glanced at my arms.

He’s right.

I’ve got a body, a physical body.

My eyes glimmered and a smile formed on my mouth as I stared at my arms down to my feet.

The short glee ended too soon as I noticed him watching me intently.

“I want to stay in my body..” I muttered, just loud enough for him to hear.

As long as I’m safe here in his castle, I’ll gladly remain in my body.

“You’re an odd one. Aren’t you afraid of me?” He asked staring through my soul.
I cowered getting lost in my thoughts.

In fact, I am, at this very moment even. But even if I reincarnate, where do I go? I have nowhere to go.

“At first, yes. But.. I could have a proper conversation like this with you, So.. maybe.. just maybe you’re not that bad.” I said, unsure of what I was blabbering about.

I thought that looking on the bright side of things is better despite of the situation I’m currently in.

I flinched as he laughed loudly yet it sounded stoically dull.

I shrunked, a flush rushing through my cheeks. He stood up from his seat and walked towards the large wooden door.

Before he could even go, a rush feeling suddenly vamoosed from inside of me and the next thing I knew I blurted out things that changed my life.

“C-can I stay here? In this room?” I asked, after knowing all those information of the kind of creatures that are roaming outside the castle.

Nonetheless, I feel kind of safer where I am and I don’t even know where to go or where he’ll send me otherwise.

“Suit yourself.” He said, a smirk planted on his lips before the door completely shut, leaving me with the eerie silence of his room.