Chapter 8

Eli's pov

Matthew and I quietly walk to his car, which is parked outside of his bakery. Noah had volunteered me to go with Matthew to get sandwiches from Jimmy John's.

The closest Jimmy John's is too far to walk so we walked back to Matthew's bakery so that Matthew can drive us.

We slip inside the vehicle and Matthew easily leaves the small parking lot and joins the other cars on the busy street.

The ride is silent and I can't help but think he doesn't like me. We have never been alone together and don't really talk unless Noah is having a conversation with us.

Matthew's phone beeps in his pocket so he pulls it out and hands it to me. "Can you read it to me?"

"Oh, uh, sure." I fumble with his phone and turn it on.

Gabe 11:37 am
getting lonely at the house. pick me up for lunch?

I read the text aloud to Matthew.

"Tell him we're picking up Jimmy John's but will get him after. My password is 0573." I nod silently and type in the password.

His phone opens up and I quickly tap on Gabe's text. I type the text Matthew wanted me to quickly and put his phone in the cup holder. I felt like

"Thanks." Matthew says in his deep voice, not taking his eyes off the road. We grab the sandwiches a few minutes later and head over to their house to pick up Gabe.

Gabe comes rushing out of the house and is halfway down the drive before he turn around and locks the door.

Matthew chuckles next to me and a small smile appears on my lips. Gabe slides into the backseat of the car with flushed cheeks and rapid breathing.

"Hey." Gabe says as Matthew pulls away from the curb.

"Hey babe." Matthew replies and I respond with a quiet greeting.

"Oh, Jimmy John's." Gabe whispers to himself spotting the bags in my lap. He glances at me and smiles. "How have you been Eli? It's been a few weeks since I've seen you."

"Yeah, I'm good. I starting my second job last week so I've been pretty busy." The car is quiet and I furrow my brows. Did I say something wrong?"

"Aren't you already working like almost everyday." Matthew asks, his tone soft.

"No, I still have like two days a week that I don't work at all. And most days I just work four hour shifts."

"Where are you working?" Gabe asks from the backseat.

"Denny's on West 48th."

"That's pretty far from your house. And school starting in a few weeks." Gabe states worry clear in his tone. Does he think I would skip work at the flower shop to work at the restaurant or to study.

"Don't worry. I'll still be able to work everyday except for Friday." I made sure that I would still be able to work my scheduled times at Noah's shop. We pull into the parking lot of Matthew's bakery, cutting off the awkward conversation.

I grab the bags and follow Matthew and Gabe down the street. Gabe is clutching a brown leather satchel to his side as if he expects someone to run up to him and try to take it.

When we get to Noah's shop the front part is empty so we go straight to the back. I set the bags on the table and begin to pull out the sandwiches.

Noah walks out of the office and gasps when he sees Gabe. "Gabe!" He cheers launching himself into Gabe's chest.

Gabe wraps his arms around his boyfriend and kisses the top of his head. They separate after a few moments and Noah gives Matthew a quick kiss before smiling at me and sitting in the chair next to mine.