Chapter 9

Eli's pov

I turn off the vacuum and wind up the cord on the hooks of the machine. I shove it back into my closet along with the broom and mop I recently used.

I quickly wipe down the counters and smile at my newly cleaned apartment. I didn't have work today and decided it would be a good day to do this.

I actually like cleaning. It calms me down and has a good outcome. The corner of the apartment I purposely left empty when unpacking suddenly catches my eye.

If I got a cat I would have to clean more. That doesn't sound to bad. I would also have a snuggle buddy and someone to come home to. Even if it's just a cat that may or may not scratch me all the time.

But I'm sure after several hours alone it would appreciate my affection.

What am I talking about? I can't get a cat, I can hardly take care of myself. But maybe Noah would want my cat to meet their cat. It would give me an excuse to see him and his partners away from work.

I groan and smack my self in the forehead. I can't get a cat just for an excuse to see them.

A cat would be nice, though, I would prefer a dog. But I would have to walk it all the time and with being in the city it seems too complicated.

I turn to clean my fridge and notice I'm almost out of certain necessities. I make a list of things I need and after cleaning the fridge I get dressed.

I grab my list on my way to the front door. I sigh and leave my apartment knowing what will happen in a few seconds. The door behind me opens and I pretend I don't hear it as I walk down the hall.

"Oh, wait Eli." I pick up my pace and don't turn around. Footsteps follow me until Grace is walking next to me.

"Hi, you're in a rush today." She says with a cheshire cat smile.

"Yep. I have to go shopping." I say taking the steps downstairs quickly.

"Me too! Want to go together?"

"No thanks." I bite out.

"Okay. That's okay. Maybe next time?" I ignore her and make my way to the bus station. A few minutes later the bus pulls up. I don't even feel guilty for treating her like this anymore.

About a week ago I caught her messing around with my door handle. I don't know what she was doing but when she saw me she immediately ran back to her apartment.

It takes fifteen minutes to get to my stop. A few other people get off but I ignore them and quickly walk into Walmart. I grab a cart and go straight to the produce section.

It may not look like it but I do like to eat healthy. It's yummy and makes me feel good. I just wish I could get into working out, maybe then I could lose the fat around my stomach, face and thighs.

I take my time with shopping and when I pass the pet section I stop to look at the cat food for a few minutes.

I really want a cat.

I take my cart to the front and on my way I pads a stand with reusable shopping bags. Maybe I should try to be zero waste. It doesn't seem to be that hard.

I grab three bags and make my way to the check out aisles.

When I get back to my apartment I put all my stuff away and pull out my phone.

Hey, I was thinking of going zero waste do you have any tips?|

I think over the text before hitting send and turning off my phone. Okay, that wasn't that hard. I take a deep breath but ot doesn't stop the butterflies in my stomach.