Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Derrick’s POV

I had gotten up this morning, Angela and Amanda still asleep.  I got the coffee going and sat at the table like I always did, waiting for the coffee.

With my arm on the table, I rested my head and started to hear the coffee falling into the pot.

………….................................................   

‘Tired?’ I heard, lifting my head fast, I was looking right at Angela who was smiling, drinking coffee.

I looked at the coffee machine confused, I didn’t hear the beep telling me it was done.

‘I didn’t hear you.’ I said to her.

‘I know…you were snoring.’ She told me.

‘I don’t snore.’ I stated and she laughed.

‘Yeah you were.’ She said, I looked at her but then noticed Amanda a few steps away nodding her head confirming what her mother was saying.

I started to get up, ‘Here.’ Angela said, handing me a cup of coffee.

‘Still take it black?’ she asked.

‘Yeah.’ I said, smelling it and taking a sip.

‘When did you guys wake up?’ I asked them.

‘Maybe 20 or 30 minutes ago, why?’ she asked.

‘I feel asleep about an hour ago then.’ I told her.

She just smiled, turned and looked at Amanda.

‘You thirsty?’ she asked her and my girl nodded.

‘Milk?’ her mom asked and again she just nodded.

She started to get the milk out and then the sippy cup.

‘What do you girls want to do today?’ I asked them.

‘I don’t know…have anything in mind?’ she asked me.

She handed Amanda her cup of milk then they both came and sat down with me at the table.

‘We could go for a walk?  Go to the park?  Go for a drive?’ I said, thinking out loud.

Angela looked at Amanda, ‘What do you want to do?’ she asked her.

I had notice Angela was asking her questions that she needed to answer with words and not just nodding or shaking her head.  I could see the irritation in my little girl’s eyes when she brought up three fingers.