SIX

"You wear a mask for so long, you forget who you were beneath it" - V for Vendetta

++ C H A P T E R | S I X ++

Elliott was crammed next to Brent at the lunch table. He wanted nothing more than to leave and run away, but that wasn't an option, not when Natasha was involving him in every single conversation. The group had moved from the big football game to the homecoming dance, and Elliott felt like his ears were clogged with water. He could barely focus enough to hear what any of them were saying.

"Elliott," Natasha whined. "You're not paying attention."

That brought Elliott back to the present, where the redhead was giving him puppy dog eyes and the girl across from him was looking hopeful.

"Sorry. What is happening?"

Natasha seemed fine to catch him up. "Leigh, over there, just asked you to the dance. Will you go?"

Elliott didn't even hesitate. "No." Then, he realized how harsh that must have sounded when Leigh's face dropped and she nearly flinched from the word. "I mean, I'm not going. I have prior obligations that night."

Which was the truth - Elliott was working the Saturday of the homecoming dance, and while he wasn't going to be working too far into the night, he would miss the chance to prepare for the dance. He wasn't upset by this, mostly because he had no urge to participate in school activities. However, the blatant no hadn't been because he couldn't make it - he was afraid of Leigh. Of all the girls, save for Natasha, at the table.

"Well, that is too bad. Cheer up, Leigh. We'll find you someone soon." Natasha winked at her friend, but that didn't boost the blonde's mood.

Elliott was perplexed. Why would anyone want to bring him to the dance? He was basically the shortest guy in the class, he wasn't handsome, and he never associated with anyone. He didn't see any appeal in himself, so he was having a hard time understanding how Leigh did.

The conversation flowed from there, and Elliott tried not to comment all that often. It was inevitable, however. And Brent, well Brent hated the fact that Elliott was getting all the attention. He hated that the pea-sized pretty boy was being fawned over by everyone, for no other reason than the fact that Natasha enjoyed his company.

He didn't understand.

Neither did Elliott.

Practice was even stranger, for Elliott. Suddenly, his team members weren't picking on him, not even Brent. This was a revelation, and it shocked Elliott to find that he was actually able to concentrate during practice instead of worry how others may sabatose him.

Brent kept his distance for most of practice, but Elliott could sense his stares. Natasha wasn't on the sidelines this afternoon, so he knew Brent had no reason to be nice to him. Perhaps he was making friends.

Elliott shook his head - he would never make friends.

To add on to the strange afternoon, Elliott arrive at work after practice, still in his sweat pants and a long sleeved t-shirt, looking worn from the drills. When he arrived at the farm, he entered into the small farm stand, which was shockingly quant. An old woman was standing behind the register, helping a customer. He was going to wait in line, but then he heard his voice, and he froze. He'd only heard the voice once, but suddenly he knew exactly who it belonged to.

Elliott turned to face Wes, who was wearing a wife beater and shorts. He was out back, doing something, but Elliott couldn't focus on anything except for Wes. His wheat colored hair was sticking up all over the place, and his tan face had beads of sweat, proving that he'd been hard at work earlier.