xiv. Totally Clueless

fourteen totally clueless

       SO HERE SHE IS, REPEATING the password to Gryffindor tower that both Archie and George told her — for different intentions, she'd like to add — and letting herself into their common room, to find George. She feels wrong, doing this, her mind reminding her of Cedric, but she can't. The idea that George lost the match is enough, apparently, to make her ignore the guilt she's forcing upon herself.

       She walks into the common room, just as another ginger turns to leave. She almost walks straight into Fred, but she quickly stops herself, looking up at him. He looks annoyed about something.

        "Um," she says. "Are you OK...?"

       "We've been kicked off the team," he tells her.

       Mia's eyes widen. "George was—?"

       "Yeah," says Fred, nodding. He seems to be gritting his teeth. "Malfoy was being a prat, George and Harry went for him, and that's it. The three of us are off the team."

       Her brows furrow. "Do you know where George is?"

       "He'll be at the alcove across from the old Muggle Studies classroom," says Fred, with complete confidence. She nods, and as she turns around, he opens the door for her. "I'll walk with you. I'm going to see Briar."

       Mia looks up at him, confused. "Um, how...?"

       "You didn't hear this from me," he tells her, as he steps through the portrait's threshold, back into the hallway. "But there's a passage that leads out to The Hog's Head. Then I just Apparate to the village near Beauxbatons."

       "That's... really sweet?" says Mia.

       Fred shrugs. "I'm gonna be honest, I don't wanna be here right now," he says. "Everyone's having a fit that we're off the team, like it's not hard enough. And if it means I've got to leave the country to get away from it, so be it."