Chapter 14

(edited)

Conlan's P.O.V

Mable, Aimee, and Amanda are still out shopping so everyone in the packed house is scattered about. Mable told me that she would mind link me when they were about 15 minutes away so everyone can leave to their rooms in time. As a family, we decided having hundreds of strangers surrounding her would be a bad idea.

Currently, my mother and I are in the kitchen cooking tons (literally) of food. Having hundreds of people living in one house is enough on its own food wise, but add the fact that they're all werewolves makes a normal obese humans meal not even one fourth of a snack for us. In short, we eat a lot. This pack is lucky to have my mother; her food is what heaven tastes like on your taste buds. She is the master of cooking. As she always says "A way to a man's heart is through his stomach", which is so true, in my opinion.

"You know..." she started. "I heard some people in the pack becoming anxious to meet their new Luna. I know I wouldn't mind it either, being you mother; the one who fed and clothed you your entire life..."

Typical mother; always using the guilt card.

"I know ma, and I love you more and more each day because of it," I complemented while wearing an award winning smile. She didn't buy it, and I didn't expect her to since it's probably the millionth time she's seen it.

"You know what would be the best reward?" she asked, playing her usual game. I played along for her sake. Might as well.

"What would that be ma?" I couldn't prevent the knowing smirk that crept onto my face.

"It's just a small thing really," she shrugged. "...it would make up for the time you nearly burned the house down..." here we go again.

"Which time would that be ma?"

"Exactly," she stated with confidence. "Just let me meet her darling. No big deal," I thought about it for a good second, like I actually had a choice.

"Alright, sure," I said, admitting defeat.

"Yay!" she squealed. "We'll do it tonight. A dinner for immediate family only so everyone can meet her at once! Oh, this is so exciting!" before I could say anything else, she was back to cooking lunch for the pack. I was still leaning on the counter thinking about something that had been bothering me all day. Of course, my mom being my mom, noticed right away.

"What's wrong baby?" She asked, going into mom mode.

"It's just...I heard Amanda talk yesterday..." I started.

"OH MY GOD IT'S A MIRACLE!"

"Ma, she thought I didn't hear her. I think she's been faking it this whole time, but I don't understand why. Isn't it just easier for her to talk?" my mother looked at my contently and sighed before gesturing me to have a seat at the kitchen table.

"Amanda isn't faking it, sweetheart..."

"Then why..."

"Bup, bup, bup," she quieted me. "Let me finish. I've heard of people like her. They're called selective mutes. Basically, they chose to be mute even though they are physically able to," she explained.

"But why?"

"Well..." I noticed her hesitation; racking her brain for a reason herself. "...sometimes people have hard lives and don't really have a lot of control or choice in what they do. For them, that can become very frustrating, but becoming mute is something they have control over. I don't know if that's what it is for Amanda, but it's a possibility,"