iii

Chapter Three: The End-of-the-Year Project

Thankfully, he hadn't been late to class. He was already on thin ice with the math teacher and he didn't want to give him any further reason to give him detention by being late.

      The first hours of the day passed as if in slow motion. Math, he couldn't understand, History was a literal snooze fest and English sometimes got so hard he felt like his brain was going to explode. The worst of all was that he didn't have any of his friends with him. Not on Fridays.

      But his last class of the day was by far the worst one. He had to endure a whole hour of homeroom with Myoui Mina sitting behind him. He was stuck with the most insufferable human being he had ever had the displeasure of meeting.

      Could someone please come and put an end to his misery?

      He sat by the window and waited for class to start. The teacher hadn't arrived yet, he'd gone out to get something. Probably coffee.

      He hadn't seen Taehyung all day. At first, he had thought he wasn't at school, but upon meeting up with Jimin later in the day he learned that he had seen him walking around with Lee Taeyong, the captain of the swim-team. Taehyung sometimes took days where he would spend more time with his team-mates, especially when he had to practice a lot, before a competition. Today must be one of those days.

      He tried not to let it get to his head. But he hadn't talked to Taehyung in a while. He had hoped an engagement would be enough to get him to spend more time with him, but, alas, he was a busy guy. He tried to be more like Jimin, who wasn't as hung up about Taehyung as he could be. But then again, Jimin didn't know Taehyung as he did.

     He was looking out of the window when Mina knocked on his table. He knew it was Mina before he turned, only she would do something like that.

      "There you are," she said. "We were looking for you."

      Mina was pretty, he could give her that. She had a slim face and soft features, golden brown hair and a mole right above her upper lip.

      "Why were you looking for me?"

      Her eyebrows twitched in a suppressed confusion. "To talk about the engagement, of course. What else? Tell your sister congratulations. Tae couldn't be more excited. It's all he talks about."

      For some reason the way she said it annoyed him. It annoyed him that she felt like the engagement was something she was in on, almost like her and Taehyung were the same entity, that whatever concerned him, concerned her too. Both of them had been looking for him, she had said. Like it had anything to do with her. Taehyung's brother was the one who was engaged to his sister, not Mina's brother.

      Suddenly, she seemed worried. "You have gotten the news, haven't you?"

      It took all he got not look at her alarmed. "Yes," he said, covering his dismay with a cough. "Yesterday."