Chapter 17

(Penelope's Point of View)

No. I can't get my hopes up anymore. I been through this before. It doesn't matter what anyone says, I'm not made to be happy.

"Jane, you listen to me. We are alone, once again. We can't trust them. Not Ethan nor Noah. I don't care what you see. They aren't trustworthy." I say while looking into Jane's small but intriguing eyes.

She shakes her small head, "No, you're wrong. Ethan and Noah are nice people. They are our friends. Even if you're mad at them, they are my friends and yours. They will understand if you apologize." She says trying to convince me.

"No, we are done with them." I say as one last tear slides down my eye. "I mean nothing to them. You saw them Jane, they walked out. They won't be coming back. This isn't a fairy tale Jane, we live in reality. There is no such thing as a forever or a happily ever after. They were bound to leave us one of these days, and it's better that they left now than later." I say holding her by the shoulders.

"NO!" She yells while pushing me from her and running up the stairs. Seconds later you can hear her door slam shut. I let out a breath of air and stood up slowly. This is it...the loneliest I dreaded. I walk up to Jane's room and knock on her door.

"Jane...you have to trust me." I say while shaking my head violently to get rid of the thought. "You know what...forget it. I'm going to go get my motorcycle, so I'm going to call Mabel to come over. Just know that I'm trying to do what's best for you and the best isn't always the right thing." I tell her through her shut door.

I walk down stairs and call Mabel. After a ring she picks up with a more cheerful tone than when I last saw her. Confuse I just go on, not trying to get her to question me like in the morning. "Hey Mabel, I kinda forgot my motorcycle somewhere so I was gonna go get it and I was wondering if you could come and look at Jane while I went." I said with a hopeful tone.

"Of course." She says and hangs up. After moments of waiting, a knock is heard from the door. I walk over and open it letting Mabel come in. "So...where's your boyfriend? Gone so soon?"

Completely baffled by her question I give her a look of confusion. "Who?"

"You know that young gentleman who was here a couple of minutes ago. I left Jane here with him. Oh god, please tell me you know who I'm talking about or else I'm going on a killing spree." Mabel says while starting to have a look of fear on her face, contemplating whether she just did the worst mistake of her life.

After connecting the dots I realize she's talking about Noah. My eyes begin to pool with tears and I blink quickly as to not let Mabel see my unshed tears. "Oh, you mean Noah. Um yeah, he isn't my boyfriend." I say while looking down.

"Oh, Penny. Come here sweetie." Mabel lightly pushes me to the couches and sits me down next to her. "What's wrong? Jane said he was. Did ya break up?"

I slowly shake my head and say, "I just-" but before I could finish I remember that everything Is behind us now. "No. Nothing happened. I'm fine." I repeat while picking my face up and walking to the door. "With all do respect ms. Mabel, this isn't your business." I open the door and walk out without saying another word to her. She doesn't stop me and I'm glad.

              *•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*

As I'm walking, I contemplate life and how fucked up it is. Not only that but the fact that my younger sister happened to have ability's was shocking. They just happened to appear out of nowhere. She was able to see glimpses of the future. The majority of them happened hours after she predicted them and to say that was strange was an understatement. Most of the time she wouldn't like to say what she saw because she believed it would change the future. Of course on certain occasions she would tell me some stuff and I was glad she trusted me enough but I felt weird knowing that maybe out there, there could be someone just like her.