Chapter 10: A snake in the lions den

Harry stared up at the Dark Lord, a tight grip on his wand as his eyes narrowed. The taller man looked down at him, impassive except for the slight smirk gracing his features. Their magic rose up, filling the air until it was almost suffocating. Bellatrix and the inner circle watched on with glee. This was it. Finally their Lord would kill Potter and Dark Magic would rule the world. Voldemort raised his wand towards the younger wizard and opened his mouth to end it all. Harry tensed, ready for what was coming. "Evanesco." The blood covering him was washed away as Cherié walked back towards him. He took the Dark Lord's hand and was instantly pulled to the man's side, as had become normal over the last few days. He peered up and hissed to him in the language only they spoke. "She was asking for it, I swear. Even if my shadow hadn't reacted, I would have killed her." The woman in question was still lying in a heap on the floor, staring up at them with anger and confusion. "But my Lord he attacked me!"

His head whipped around from looking down at his horcrux to glare at the witch. "And why, Bellatrix, did he do that?" Dark as he was, Harry wasn't violent. In fact he seemed to quite strongly dislike it most of the time. Tom would never understand it, but as long as Harry was safe and on his side, it didn't matter. "What did she do, my soul?" It was a nickname he'd given after the third time Harry worried that he was using him for the horcrux. It was unsurprising, Voldemort couldn't expect Harry to completely trust him already, but addressing the issue could at least start to heal that trust. He was grateful enough that Harry was giving him this chance. "She called me your whore. Apparently you'll get bored of me soon, and be done with me once Dumbledore is dead." For a second, Voldemort was conflicted. He was still getting used to all these new emotions, but Harry was helping him identify them. He was glad that Harry didn't seem to believe Bella, but furious at what she dared to imply. He raised his wand, but was stopped by a hand gently squeezing his. "Your death eaters don't like me. You killing her for me isn't going to help that. They need to understand that I am on their side." Reluctantly, he relented. Harry was right, his followers were still loyal, but their faith in him had been shaken over the years. Everyday, he saw more and more of the damage his madness had caused. He needed to inspire his people again. "Rodolphus, Rabastan, take Bellatrix to the dungeons, she will stay there for the night." Bellatrix shrieked and struggled against the four arms that went to restrain her. "Get off of me! My Lord please, reconsider..." A raised hand silenced her, and she could be heard yelling as her husband and brother-in-law dragged her to her cell.  He released Harry and walked over to the raised platform at the front of the hall where his Death Eaters had previously been dueling. "It would seem that your loyalty to me is not undying." Immediately a crescendo of protests and denials spread across the room, stopping only when he raised his wand. "Fulgur adducere." A bolt of lightning spiraled to the floor in the middle of the room, frightening it's inhabitants as they stepped back. "We have lost our way. Our intentions and plans for a new beginning became lost in the old war. Many of you still lat blame to Harry Potter. I became distracted, obsessed, which is exactly what Dumbledore, and his pathetic light-loving soldiers wanted. He will not win!" His voice was never raised, and yet the hall remained silent, entranced by his every word. This is what it had been like. Not just loyalty but true admiration. This is what he'd let go within his madness. "Harry Potter is not our enemy. The real enemy, our true enemy, always has and always will be Dumbledore. With their saviours help, we will destroy him, and take what is ours!" A loud cheer rose at that and he watched patiently until the ruckus died down. "All I require of you, is loyalty and trust. Does your Lord not deserve at least that?" His reply was loud declarations of loyalty and affirmations, and he allowed the smallest of smiles on his face. He was still uncomfortable showing any emotion to anyone, except for Harry of course. Harry Potter had always been the only one to evoke any true emotion from him. He stepped down, taking Harry's hand and leading him away from the shouting masses to his private chambers.