Chapter 12

"Papa?"

They both turned their heads at the sound of the small voice. A smile made its way onto M/n's face, seeing the curious look on the little boy's face. Misaki let go of him, letting M/n bend down and spread his arms. "Come here."

The little boy smiled and raced into M/n's arms. He giggled as M/n lifted him off the ground. "Are you done eating?"

"Yeah! Oh, Papa, can we get ice cream now?"

"Of course."

"Yay!"

"What do you tell Auntie?"

The little boy turned his head to Misaki. "Auntie, come with me?"

Misaki couldn't help but melt at those words, squealing internally at his cute voice. She stepped closer and held his hand. "Of course! How can I say no to my precious nephew?"

"Come on, bud. Let's get grandma and grandpa."

"Okay!"

Misaki watched as M/n walked towards the sliding door, smiling to himself as S/n cheered at going to get ice cream.

All the sacrifices you had to make... All the decisions you made... All the pain you've had to suffer... No one knows those things better than I do... And yet...all of that time you suffered...you smile. You smile because you know you still have a ray of sunshine shining on your life. It's a ray you've grown so protective of... To the point that you'd give your own life for it... And that ray of sunshine...is S/n.

"Misaki."

She was snapped out of her thoughts, blinking in confusion. "Yes?"

"Are you coming?"

"Come on, Auntie!"

Big Brother... I hope you find someone to mend that hole in your heart. You deserve to be happy.

"I'm coming! Wait up!"

--

"What? What happened?"

"Nothing very major, Mr. L/n. It seems that a wasp had decided to build its nest near the entrance of the preschool. We decided that the kids should stay home today so we can avoid any trips to the hospital."

"I see."

"We apologize sincerely, Mr. L/n. We're well aware you're a busy man."

"It's fine. You are looking out for the safety of the children as you are required to do. I say it's the best decision."

"Thank you for understanding. We'll have someone come by and take care of it. We should resume tomorrow if all goes well."

"I understand. Thank you for letting me know."

"No problem. Have a good day."

"You too."

M/n hung up, placing his recently-bought phone into his pocket as he finished adjusting his tie. He walked to the small device on the wall and pressed the button. "Mayumi."

He waited for a few seconds before a voice answered. "Yes, sir?"

"Please make an extra breakfast."

"Yes, sir. Will it be the same?"

"No. It's for S/n."

"Will the young master be going with you today?"

"Yes. His preschool will be closed for today due to an incident, so I'll be taking him with me today."

"Understood, sir. Should I wake him?"

"Don't worry. I'll get him ready. Have breakfast done."

"Yes, sir."

He walked out of his bedroom, closing the door behind him as he headed to his small office. He placed some papers in his briefcase before clicking it shut. His e/c eyes glanced down at his watch briefly as he made his way over to S/n's bedroom. The small boy was sleeping peacefully.

"S/n..."

M/n kneeled down beside S/n's bed, brushing his hair out of his face. "S/n, wake up."

He moved a little, hugging the teddy bear in his arms a little tighter. M/n smiled at that and poked his cheek. "S/n. Come on, bud. Time to leave dreamland."

The small boy slowly opened his eyes, blinking a couple of times to adjust his vision. "Pa...pa?"

"Morning, Champ."

He slowly sat up, removing one of his hands from the teddy bear to rub the sleepiness out of his eyes. "Is it time for school?"

"School is out for today. Would you like to stay with me or with grandma?"

"I--" the boy started before yawning. "--want to stay with you."

"Alright. Then, let's get you ready. Mayumi is waiting with breakfast downstairs."

--

M/n looked at S/n through his rearview mirror as he started up the car. "Buckled in alright?"

"Mhm!" S/n replied happily, kicking his legs as he played with the small toy in his hands.

M/n glanced back and checked his mirrors as he backed out of the driveway. The sleek f/c car slowly came to a stop as the front gates opened. Once they were fully open, the car began moving again and turned, driving down the road.

"I'm gonna make a quick stop somewhere, alright?"

"Okay."

He turned into a neighborhood street and parked the car beside a very familiar-looking house. He grabbed his phone and sent a text.

(Username) - I'm here

M/n set it down and looked down the street. He narrowed his eyes on a bunch of kids that were just down the road. A girl was holding out her arms, protecting a kid behind her. He guessed she was defending him from the group of three boys. The girl seemed very familiar to him.

Mikasa... I believe that was her name.

"S/n, stay here, bud."

"Papa?"

M/n sent him a smile. "Don't worry."

He got out of the car just as Hanji was walking out of her house. She watched as M/n walked down the road. "Wow! You can't even defend yourself, Yeager? How pathetic!"

"Leave him alone!"

"Why don't you stay out of it, Mikasa?!"

She closed her eyes, expecting the hit, but it never came. She opened them, surprised by the sight. "Huh?"

The boy turned his head to M/n. "What's the problem?"

The two other boys were shaking, struck with fear by M/n's cold, piercing gaze. "L-Let me go!"

"Not until you properly apologize. Didn't your parents teach you any manners?"

"I-I'm sorry!"

"The next time I catch you boys causing these two any harm, I will be your worst nightmare. Got that?"

"Y-Y-Yes!"

"Off to school, you three. You don't want to be late."

"Mister..."

He watched as the three boys ran. His attention went back to the two. "Are you alright?"