~ Prologue ~

New York City
9:25 pm

A bustling city! Those are the words to describe a city in which everyone was nocturnal and it was not considered abnormal. The streets were teeming with people and there was barely any space to walk around them. The lights from the skyscrapers illuminated everything and made nightlife the norm every day. There was hardly a time when it wasn't lit up like this, making most streets look bright even during midday.

The surroundings of the airport were no different. Cars lined up on both sides of the road as people walked briskly through the busy roads, heading towards their homes or to meet someone. It was already dark outside by then but that did not stop the crowd from moving about.

A man in his late twenties moved out of the terminal building and onto the main road. As he passed by each person, every head rolled back to take a second glance at him despite the chaos. Every feature he carried failed to blend with the general population. His hair was slicked back with a strand curling at the front and the dark pair of shades stuck to his face during that time of the day only served to heighten the effect. His gait was confident as he strode across the street while looking straight ahead.

He stopped at the sidewalk opposite a red light and waited for the signal before crossing the street. The coffee shop located at the other end caught his attention and he found it a good means of spending some time alone. Without second thoughts, he went inside the café and sat at the far corner table where nobody could see him.

He took off the sunglasses and placed them on the surface of the table before resting his elbows on top of it. His eyes met the menu board above the counter and lingered for a minute until he finally decided what to order. During his deep concentration, his cellphone vibrated and his lips curved into a sly smile without checking the caller. His eyes scanned the area once more and he quickly retrieved his phone. "Hey--"

"You ran away from a business meeting?!" A feminine voice interrupted through the receiver once he had pressed the button to answer. "And then you flew back this late at night??" She asked again with a more agitated tone.

He scratched his cheek with one hand, her words amusing him in every way. "What about it?" He answered casually, knowing his smug expression was enough to send her anger over the edge if she could see it.

She huffed loudly into the line before softening her tone. "...well, I'm glad you called me."

His face cracked with a chuckle he couldn't hold back. "No, I didn't." He spoke before gesturing to the waiter who brought his order. "Thank you." He paused briefly then continued with a hint of amusement. "You were the one who called." He teased, dropping the receiver on the table and leaning forward to grab his cup of coffee.

The lady at the other end was silent for a moment, and when she spoke again, her frustration became clearer in her tone. "Where are you right now? Should I come pick you up?" She asked eventually, her voice becoming softer.

His brows knitted together as he stared down into the black liquid in his cup. "I am not crazy enough to allow you to come this unsafe period of the day." He said quietly, sipping the warm beverage and closing his eyes to savor its taste.

She chuckled, amused by his response. "When have you ever cared about me? Did LA give you some generous charm?" She joked, her tone light and teasing.

His lips curled into a smirk, his eyes glancing up to the ceiling as he recalled her words. "Yeah, you got me. I was being sarcastic." He replied as he picked up his cell phone once more. "I'm ending the call. Just don't tell mum about this, okay? I will be home soon." He requested, staring at the phone for a few seconds before hanging up in the middle of her unheard argument.