Chapter 20 - Trust

"What should we do then?!" Harry said, frustrated.

Hermione racked her brains, trying to think of a way to alert Vincent without any major interference. As Vincent took cover around a tree, she noticed a small bulge in one of his pocket. Her eyes lit up as she turned to Harry.

"Harry, listen to me," she said urgently.

...

Vincent winced as the tree he was hiding behind had the bottom blow up in a cloud of splinters, scratching his face. He ran as the tree, now unstable, started tilting towards him, crashing into the ground and creating a cloud of dust. Not having any time to rest, Lupin lunged out of the dust cloud, mouth wide open, only to see a small white vial enter it's mouth.

"Sorry Professor," Vincent muttered as he heard the crunch of glass, making the Werewolf stagger from the pain as blood dripped from it's maw. It shook its head, turning to him, baring its teeth, now blood red. "The Sleep potion seems ineffective. Just made it mad."

From his pocket, he felt movement and panicked, thinking that Peter had woken up and was struggling free. It turned out to just be Blimp as it slithered out and looked to a part of the forest. It seemed to be listening to something.

"Blimp, what—?" Vincent was stopped short as the Werewolf approached, swiping it's claws at him. All he could do was duck and parry with his rods, causing no small amount of strain to his arms. As it once again lunged with it's mouth, Vincent ducked, grabbing it's legs and pulling back hard. The werewolf fell back awkwardly as Vincent used the opportunity to get on top and strike it's face with his rods.

SMACK! CRACK! CRACK!

As he continued with his seemingly endless attacks, Blimp made its way, unnoticed, to where it heard something, a strange hissing tone.

...

Harry stopped hissing and looked at Hermione. "Is that enough?"

"That's enough," Hermione held onto Buckbeak's rope tight, her knuckles turning white. She steeled her sight away from Vincent's fight and took a deep breath. "If you want to see who did that patronus, we better go now."

Harry looked towards that swarm of dementors in the lakes direction, where he, Hermione, and Sirius from the present were. Looking back at Vincent, Harry's face had a conflicted expression.

"What about Vincent?" Harry asked concerned

"He'll be fine," said Hermione, seeming like she was trying to convince herself as much as Harry.

Harry just went silent, after some thinking, he nodded and started running towards the lake.

"He'll be fine, right?" Hermione muttered with Buckbeak squawking at her silently. She tugged on the rope to lead it away from the scene. Her eyes furrowed at her final thought. "Where's Arnya?"

Several seconds later, a small pink snake approached the spot, finding nothing but a torn off piece of parchment.

...

Vincent felt his arms burn with the amount of pain they were in from the impact of each strike. The werewolf's face and skull were incredibly tough, making him feel as if he were hitting a stone wall.

"Go to sleep already," Vincent thought with frustration as he felt the werewolf struggle underneath him, flinching at every hit. It's eyes started rolling back, making Vincent feel hope. "Almost there..."

However, it didn't seem like Vincent was getting off that easy. With great difficulty, the werewolf spat at Vincent, blinding him with it's own blood. As Vincent flinched back, the werewolf grabbed Vincent's throat and shakily started to stand up. It staggered with dizziness, trying to regain it's bearing as Vincent started to turn red due to the lack of air. He reached into his pouch to get another potion only for the werewolf to grab it and throw it to the ground, shocking him. A low growl came from it's mouth as it looked at him, straight in the eye. Helpless, Vincent watched it open its mouth once again, ready to take a bite out of him.