106

The italics is from Goblet of Fire and JK's writing! No sense to paraphrase when JK wrote it perfectly and detailed anyways. Enjoy!

C H A P T E R 106

"Wait, so this is his son?" Ron questioned, with raised eyebrows and looking oddly at him.

As soon as the name Barty Crouch Jr was mentioned, Samantha was in shock for a moment and then tried to remember where she heard that name before. It felt very familiar but she couldn't pin it. Both Harry and Hermione, like Ron, had no idea Crouch had a son and it was all making sense seeing the name Barty Crouch on the Marauder's Map.

"Yes it is," Dumbledore spoke, his eyes laced with concern as thoughts inside his brilliant mind floated about.

"But—but—why?" Harry questioned, looking at Crouch Jr with shock. Why would the son of Barty Crouch do something like this?

"Why don't we ask the man himself to share his story?" Snape hissed and pointed his wand at the man's cheek. Clearly from the look in Snape's eyes, that there was more to than what was being led on. "And how he escaped Azkaban."

"Escaped Azkaban?" Harry reiterated. Why would the son of Barty Crouch, a high ranked Ministry official have to be sent to Azkaban?

"Yes, Harry," Dumbledore spoke. "I'm sure it will make sense once everything is explained."

Samantha already could pick up that Crouch Jr was a bad and dark wizard and this story would not be a happy one. She could still not pin point where she heard his name before and figured it would be revealed upon hearing his story and how he got to impersonate Moody. Wait...Moody, the real Mad Eye.

"Professor," Samantha cut in as Crouch Jr was about to open his mouth. "What about the real Moody, he could be very sick or weak."

Dumbledore nodded slightly. "He probably is. As soon as we hear this we'll tend to Alastor," His blue eyes lost their sparkle for a mere moment as they flickered to Crouch Jr. "I can take a guess that he would want to be kept alive throughout all of this."

Samantha nodded and sat back, waiting for Crouch Jr to tell his tale.

Crouch took a deep, shuddering breath, then began to speak in a flat, expressionless voice. "My mother saved me. She knew she was dying. She persuaded my father to rescue me as a last favor to her. He loved her as he had never loved me. He agreed. They came to visit me. They gave me a draft of Polyjuice Potion containing one of my mother's hairs. She took a draft of Polyjuice Potion containing one of my hairs. We took on each other's appearance.

"The dementors are blind. They sensed one healthy, one dying person entering Azkaban. They sensed one healthy, one dying person leaving it. My father smuggled me out, disguised as my mother, in case any prisoners were watching through their doors. My mother died a short while afterward in Azkaban. She was careful to drink Polyjuice Potion until the end. She was buried under my name and bearing my appearance. Everyone believed her to be me."

"And what did your father do with you, when he had got you home?" said Dumbledore quietly.

"Staged my mother's death. A quiet, private funeral. That grave is empty. The house-elf nursed me back to health. Then I had to be concealed. I had to be controlled. My father had to use a number of spells to subdue me. When I had recovered my strength, I thought only of finding my master . . . of returning to his service."

"How did your father subdue you?" said Dumbledore.

"The Imperius Curse," Crouch said. "I was under my fathers control. I was forced to wear an Invisibility Cloak day and night. I was always with the house-elf. She was my keeper and caretaker. She pitied me. She persuaded my father to give me occasional treats. Rewards for my good behavior."