Chapter 175: Fifth Life - Stuck with You

"You're still here." Yang Zi Huo's dumbfounded expression is discouraging as I remain in place.

"I'm trying! It's not working." Trying to concentrate again, I envision removing myself into the image of Yi Fei's chambers.

It doesn't work.

"Something's not right. Your dark aura is suppressing my ability to use inner energy." I accuse him, pointing my finger at his face.

Clearing his throat, Yang Zi Huo stares at the ground. "Then I guess you'll have to stay."

"What-- Did you purposely use your inner powers to trap me here?"

"I didn't! I wouldn't want you to stay here." He quickly refutes, "It's not safe."

"Well, I can't use my powers right now. Why don't you just fly me out of here?"

He bites his lower lip, his eyebrows furrowing. His serious face is handsomely annoying while I wait for an answer.

"You're right. The best thing is to first get you out of demon city but not right now."

"Why?"

"I am currently disguising myself as a low level demon trying to penetrate the ranks of Wicked Mist to find out what they're up to. I cannot leave as I wish, but I will get you out."

"Why didn't you just have the Night Ravens spy on Wicked Mist?"

"Most of my men stationed here have gone missing. That is why I've decided to come myself."

Hearing that he has put himself in harm's way, yet again, I can't help but feel anxious.

"You have to stay with me at all times until I bring you out. Would... that be all right?" He asks.

Yang Zi Huo avoids looking at me. He still thinks that I hate his guts. It's true that I have only proven to him that I hated him. My heart now has not completely forgiven him as well. It's confusing because I can no longer feel that passion of intense hatred. Somehow I've become a stranger to my own feelings or that I don't want to admit certain things. Things that I want deeply buried and to never surface again.

"Well, it's not like I have a choice," I tell him.

Two gentle knocks on the door makes me jump. Yang Zi Huo quickly pulls me by the arm to his side. His body is still as warm as when we were on the bed.

He's mentioned before that his temperature always increases drastically when he's around me... What... does that mean?

"Kai Xiu, are you in there?" A delicate voice calls out to someone named Kai Xiu.

I poke Yang Zi Huo's side. "Are you Kai Xiu?"

He strains his lips as if telling me to be quiet. Then with a cheerful voice, he says to the women, "Ah, Zi Xue Jiejie! I'll be right out!"

"Oh, all right then. Please come have some breakfast before you leave, okay?"

"Ok, ok! I got it. I'll be right out."

I didn't realize my face was pulled back all the way to my neck. Frowning, I can't stomach the boyish persona Yang Zi Huo was mimicking.

"Don't look at me like that," he finally says before turning around to put on his outer robes.

"What was that?" I almost let a mocking laughter out my mouth.

"Here, I am Kai Xiu. A hundred-year old bug demon. I cannot be like my normal self."

"There's been so many versions of you now. I can't even point out which is the real you."

He doesn't respond, quickly getting dressed. I look around the room, finally having time to observe the surroundings. It's a small, typical tavern room with wooden furniture. Yang Zi Huo must have stayed here for awhile since he's been gone for a year from Bleak Night, although the place is quite empty.