Missing Words ; Bokuto X Mute!reader (Soulmate! AU)

Today is my birthday \(^^)/, so that means it's update time!!

Soulmate! AU in which the first words your soulmate say to you are written on your wrist.

Thank you so much, @MorningGlory816 for requesting this one-shot! I hope you enjoy!

•••

Woah, you're really beautiful...

When you had first been able to read and comprehend words, your cheeks had flushed a rosy pink at your soulmate's words.

And though your self-esteem seems to be a bit lower than others, just a mere glance at your words boosts your confidence heavily, allowing you to walk with a little more pep in your step.

Besides, you only care about one person's personal opinion on your looks. Your soulmate's, of course, so you're very content.

Though, no matter how warm your chest feels at your words, there is always an ice cold feeling that follows.

Sure... your wrist harbors beautiful cursive among it, but you know your soulmate's wrist doesn't replicate everyone else's.

You always turn to your wrist for confirmation and comfort, so you can't fathom how lonely your soulmate must feel with an empty wrist.

You feel... guilty.

As days pass, you can't help but hope that your soulmate can somehow feel your connection, just so they know you're there. You're there! You're not invisible. You exist. Please don't worry!

But, you know it's very slim that your soulmate can feel you. Giving up doesn't seem to be in your schedule though, as you sillily attempt to send your soulmate short telepathic messages everyday.

You can't wait for the day you get to show your soulmate that you exist.

...

13 years ago

"Hey honey, we're going to head to the market." Your mom pops her head into your room, catching your attention away from your children's book.

"Ok, mommy! I'll put my shoes on." You smile back, stumbling up to the front door to put your small tennis shoes on.

Your mom smiles at her 5 year old daughter, so mature for her age, before following your lead and putting her shoes on as well.

"Daddy is already in the car." Your mom informs you, before grabbing your hand and leading you to the car.

She places you in your car seat, making sure to secure every belt carefully.

Your mom sits in the passenger seat, before grabbing your dad's hand immediately, giving it a small squeeze. Your dad smiles, before pushing the key in the ignition and starting his way onto the street leading to the market.

Your curious wondering eyes drearily drag from car to car as they all pass. You enjoy counting all the cars that pass by, always excited to beat your record of how many cars you passed last trip.

Your fun is cut short, as the car comes to a stop in front of the red light high above.

Your eyes stop, and wander into the window of the red car next to you. Your eyes spot a small boy who looks to be about your age. His hair is black and silver, and messily splays across his head as if he just woke up from the nap of his life.

Almost immediately, the boy feels your stare and lifts his large doe eyes to meet your own. You make eye contact for a few seconds, before you shyly smile and wave at the boy, leaning your forehead and hands against the window, smooshing your face slightly.