chapter one

•(gabriela's pov)

(gabriela's pov)

THE SEA BIRDS called in the distance, and the salty aroma of the ocean was all I could smell, well, besides the strong scent of alcohol. I took a drink of my beer, my leg kicking back against the scaffolding I sat on. I looked up to see John B standing on the roof of the empty development property we hung around at. He hovered his dirty white converse over the edge, his arms spread out for balance, and a beer can in his hand. Classic John B.

"JB, get down before you fall!" I shouted.

"That's what, a three-story fall to the deck? I give you about a one-in-three chance of survival." Pope added while he held a nail gun.

"Hm," John B paused, "should I do it?"

"Yeah, you should jump. I'll shoot you on the way down." Pope threatened.

"You're gonna shoot me?" JB teased, imitating a gun with his fingers.

Kiara then walked onto the deck, "They're gonna have Japanese toilets with towel warmers." She said, speaking about the house being built for rich assholes.

"Of course. Why wouldn't they?" JJ said sitting next to me.

"This used to be a turtle habitat, but who cares about the turtles, I guess?"

"Poor turtles." I mumbled with a frown.

"I can't have cold towels." JJ voiced.

I sighed, "I want a Japanese toilet."

"Can you please not kill yourself?" Kiara changed the subject as she looked up at John B, who was still messing around on the rooftop.

"Let him, maybe he'll learn his lesson to listen to me for once." I remarked with a snicker.

JB frowned, "That's not very nice, Gabbie."

"Don't spill that beer. I'm not giving you another one." JJ yelled and took a sip out of his own can.

I looked up at John B as he hovered his foot over the edge. He lost his balance for a second, the beer can flinging out of his hand and crashing onto the deck. "Whoa! Oh, shit."

"Smooth." I heard Kiara mumble as JJ rambled on about the dropped beer.

"Dumbass." I laughed, rattling my now empty can.

Pope leaned over the edge of the unfinished deck as he warned us, "Hey, uh, security's here. Let's wrap it up."

I started to climb down from the scaffolding, JJ following shortly after me, "Okay, lets roll boys! JB get your ass down here."