07 | Animal Eyes

"I'm out of step, I'm off my feet, I'm waking up inside a dream,"

angel FINNEAS

R U T H

Eve hooked her arm with mine as we walked down the marble steps together. Mae followed behind us, scanning the room and grinning when she saw a man I assumed was her partner.

Everyone else in the foyer dressed in formal attire, and I gaped at the number of guests that accompanied the room. It wasn't even all of them. I knew others were scattered around the front yard and the ballroom Mae said the gala was held in.

"How many guests?" I asked Eve quietly, trying to breathe normally.

"Around five hundred," She replied, and my eyes widened. "Half from our town and the others are the leaders and guests from the other towns."

I nodded, lifting the dress I wore with ease so that I could keep balance while walking in heels. With all the nerves building up, I forgot where they came from and if they were even mine. 

"If you get uncomfortable in those heels, tell me. I'll grab some flats for you later." Mae kept her eyes on the people chattering, some exchanging glass cups full of champagne.

Thanking her, I walked down the last few steps and stood awkwardly. Who was I meant to discuss business with? Eloise didn't appear to be here yet, and I'd only spotted Ander speaking to a teenage girl. She looked like she could be his sister.

"Mae, look," Eve snickered and nudged her head toward a boy standing in the corner of the foyer alone. He was staring at the girl Ander was talking to. "I knew he was crushing on her."

"Josiah," Mae muttered with a smirk on her face, and he looked at us from across the room. I wondered how he heard her from so far away and with the sound of mingles stopping her voice from reaching him. She didn't even speak loud enough to get his attention.

"Leave him," Eve said with a bright smile on her face. "Or he'll start complaining to dad about how we never mind our own business."

"Isn't that the whole point of having a sibling?" Mae gave Eve a pointed look before making her way to Josiah, her other brother. Did they have more?

"I'm going to leave you here for a minute," Eve turned to me and spoke. "But don't panic. You're safe here, and I'm sure he'll find you in a second."

He? Which one?

I wanted to whine as she walked off, leaving me alone in a room full of strangers. 

"To think you'd have run away by now," Reese's voice drawled from beside the stair railing and I snapped my head to face him.

"Should I?" I challenged.

"In all honesty," He turned his face to stare down at me menacingly. "Yes, you should."

Reese's hair was pulled away from his face making his blue eyes stand out and shine in the lights projecting from the chandelier. He wore a tuxedo with a black bowtie that hung relatively loose around his collar.

"I think I just might after this night is over," I shrugged, glancing around the room. "Unless I'm given a good reason to stay and investigate."

He remained quiet for a few seconds and I knew he was inspecting my dress. Maybe he'd seen one of the girls wear it before.

"Do you want me to leave like Mr Andino does?" I questioned.

"It would be safer that way," Reese stated confidently.