Chapter 5

Katerina Dale

Just as my fingers grasped the handles of the front door, I heard Arosio's deep voice echo from the living room. He was talking on the phone and if he had said any other name, I wouldn't have hesitated from running away from these dangerous people. But the name he said made me run back inside towards the living room within seconds.

"Good evening, Mr. Dale," Arosio stated as everyone in the room looked at him in confusion. He was the one who called his father-in-law, not the other way around but of course, I had no idea about that.

Without thinking, I tore the phone out of his hand before pushing him onto the sofa. His brothers and best friends were too busy laughing at Arosio who was sprung out on the sofa that I pushed him onto while his parents stared at me curiously. Ignoring all of them, I brought the phone up to my ear and took a few steps away from them before turning my back towards them.

"Father?" I whispered and he must have heard the nervousness in my voice.

"Don't call me that! Did he find out the truth? Didn't I tell you to be careful, do you not care for your grandparents lives anymore?" my father's cold voice threatened as I gripped the phone tightly with tears brimming my eyes.

"No, I promise, it's nothing like that! I swear, please believe me," I began to beg him and couldn't stop the tears from falling. I had my back towards them and prayed that they wouldn't see my tears dripping onto the white carpet on the floor.

"Good. You better keep acting or else... besides, I have already located my daughter in Paris," my father's cold voice held a certain tenderness to it when he mentioned my twin sister, making my heart twist in pain.

"She will return on Sunday evening and I will send her to the De Luca family mansion at midnight. Make sure to swap places with her and I will have a car waiting for you outside to bring you back to your grandparents. Understood?" I was so happy at his next words that I almost forgot to answer him.

"Yes, thank you, thank you so much!" I exclaimed joyfully and jumped up and down giddily. I could feel several pairs of eyes staring at my back but I paid them no mind.

Why should I care about what they think of me anyways? Today is Friday, which means that in less than 48 hours, I will be able to escape from this psychotic Mafia family. Just thinking about that made a big smile grace my lips as I jumped up and down in pure joy.

"En. Pass the phone to Mr. De Luca," my father ordered as I nonchalantly turned around and practically threw the phone at Arosio who was standing much closer to me than I expected.

He caught the phone and eyed me suspiciously, similarly to the other members present in the room. But I paid them no mind and instead scooped little Elijah into my arms before twirling us around.

"What is it, Mr. Dale?" Arosio questioned into the phone in an emotionless tone but I could feel his eyes on Elijah and I, along with the other members of his family.

"Mommy, you seem so happy. I'm glad!" Elijah's adorable giggles mixed in with mine as my fiery red hair twirled around with us as well. Usually I kept it tied back and hidden but Elijah had taken out my elastic before so now it was flying around us. However, I was so happy and couldn't care less about it at this moment.

"That's right, my little prince! Mommy is very, very happy!" I exclaimed joyfully and gave him a bright smile before kissing both of his chubby cheeks.

"Brother, wipe the drool from your mouth. It's unsightly," Alanzo teased as the rest of his family laughed at Arosio. I stopped twirling with Elijah and my gaze snapped towards Arosio who was staring at me in a trance with clear affection evident in his softened gaze.