Look Into My Eyes

Amelia was finishing up on her last house call. The today had been long and treacherous. There had been another fire at on of the factories and she had spent all day attending to burns and checking in on patients too sick to come to the surgery. There was rumors that the cause was due to a worker having fallen asleep because he was overworked. Amelia knew there was bound to be more riots. As she slipped out of her last patients house, she placed her hat on and pulled her coat tighter.

The weather had taken a turn for the worse and was lashing down with rain, cleaning away some of the sins of Small Heath.

Just as she was about to head home Arthur was the first person she saw, he had a notorious swagger that you couldn't miss. Even under darkness.

"Hello Arthur" she smiled as he stopped in front of her.

Arthur quickly took her bag and Amelia pushed the urge to flinch away "Tommy needs to see you. It's urgent"

Amelia began to panic "Is he hurt?" and she felt her feet pick up as they headed towards the betting den.

"No he's fine love, really. It's just- well something's come up and er he needs to speak to ya"

Amelia squinted into the rain, trying to shield her face from the lashing as the thought about what he could possibly need to speak to her about. It was even more peculiar that he had sent Arthur to come get her. Tommy normally let himself into her house and waited.

Amelia felt her stomach tighten as she began to think about the reason for wanting her to see him. Had she done something the last time they spoke? Shaking her head she knew there was no reason thinking about it until she saw him.

Amelia decided not to ask Arthur anymore questions as they slipped into the den. Amelia sighed with relief as she pulled her hat off and shook the rain off.

"He's in there love" and Arthur quickly dropped her bag at her feet and left, not wanting to be involved anymore. Amelia quickly stepped towards Tommy's office, her hand shaking as she knocked.

"Come in" he barked from the other side.

As soon as Amelia stepped in the smell of smoke hit her, he must of been in this room for a while just smoking. As her eye's adjusted to the room they landed on Tommy. Tommy had leaned back in his chair, cigarette in hand with his eyes trained on the window to his left.

"What's going on Tommy?" she asked as she stepped towards his desk.

The atmosphere in the room was tense, there was something lurking in Tommy's head, that right now Amelia wasn't privy to. It unnerved her being on the back foot.

Tommy cleared his throat, still not staring at her "I'm going to ask you something and if you lie there will be no going back"

Amelia stepped forward again "Tommy what-"

"Just answer my questions okay?" and he was gritting his teeth, clearly annoyed at where the conversation was going.

Amelia huffed and took a seat, she crossed her legs and waited for him to get on with it. There was nothing that she was hiding.

Tommy suddenly looked at her, his eye's scanning her face "Do you know of an Alfie Solomons?"

Amelia blinked under his intense gaze "Yes why?"

"What's your business with him?"

Amelia studied Tommy and quickly realised that she had forgotten to tell him about her meeting with Alfie when she was in London. It was the day before Peter's funeral and they weren't exactly on speaking terms. It quickly dawned on Amelia that Tommy and Alfie had now met and her name would of been bought up by Alfie.