Transfiguration and Potions

(Y/N) POV

To say that I was nervous on my first day of school was an understatement. It was mainly because I had to make an important delivery to none other than the Headmaster himself. I went to the bathroom and woke myself up by splashing cold water on my face, hoping that I would calm down. I made sure to collect the tan brown leather satchel and made my way to the Gryffindor common room and waited patiently for Professor McGonagall to collect me.

It wasn't five minutes later and I found himself taking another right turn until the Professor halted me, before turning to a pair of stone goblins and firmly said "Chocolate Frog". To my surprise, the two goblins furrowed their eyebrows, hoping to hear the wrong password and reluctantly hoped away, only for me to slowly walk into the office of the greatest wizard alive.

The wise old wizard rose from his dark oak desk and greeted me "Ahhh, young Mr (Y/N). Am I right to assume that you are delivering your father's new work?" he said as he raised his eyebrows in curiosity. I bowed my head in respect and responded with a quick "Yes Professor" as I presented him with the tan leather satchel. Dumbledore's face was lit with glee as he carefully took the leather satchel, opened it and retrieved the large, thick bounded book and a smile crept upon Dumbledore's face. "I shall enjoy your father's work on the 'History of Dragons', Thank you young (Y/N). Professor McGonagall would you please guide young (Y/N) to his house common room?". McGonagall nodded in compliance as I was ushered out of his office.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

After I was returned to the common room, I prepared myself for my lessons and quickly made it to the dining hall and sat down at the Gryffindor table. "Honestly (Y/N), I'm surprised that you of all people would be late!" Hermione exclaimed as you sat next to her quickly gathering your breakfast. "Sorry Hermione, but I had an important appointment to attend to" I replied as you immediately began feasting on a light breakfast. "Well hurry up all of you, you don't want to be late for your first class!" she exclaimed as she picked up her books and left. I reluctantly left your breakfast and decided to go with Hermione. After all you might get lost between the 142 staircases at Hogwarts. "Hermione, wait up for me!" I shouted. She turned her head and smiled at you. "Well (Y/N) I knew you were smart enough to take my advice" she replied as both of you walked the hallways together.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The first class was Transfiguration with Professor McGonagall. I entered the classroom with Hermione expecting Professor McGonagall, only to find a grey tabby cat sitting on the desk. "That's odd. I knew that we would be the first students here, but where is the professor?" Hermione remarked. "Right in front of us of course" I said as I pointed to the tabby cat. Suddenly, the cat jumped down from the desk, only to transform into Professor McGonagall. I saw the shock on Hermione's face and smirked. "You have a keen eye young (Y/N). Perhaps as you are the first students here, would you like to choose your own seats" the Professor stated. As me and Hermione gleefully took the offer and took the two front seats and began re-reading A Beginner's Guide to Transfiguration by Emeric Switch.

17 minutes later you were looking at your wrist-watch. Harry and Ron were 7 minutes late on their first day of school! Good thing you listened to Hermione. Perhaps I should stick around her more often, after all she had already memorised her timetable and constructed a study timetable. All of a sudden the sound of loud footsteps filled the hallway and entered the classroom, It was no doubt that its was Harry and Ron. As they entered the classroom, Hermione rolled her eyes in disapproval and I could only muster a small smile. Ron broke the silence, "Whew, we made it. Can you imagine the look on McGonagall's face if we were late?". All of a sudden the tabby cat jumps off the table and transforms into Professor McGonagall, Hermione and I were dumbstruck and we knew it was coming. "That was bloody brilliant." Ron exclaimed. "Thank you for that assessment, Mr. Weasley. Perhaps if I were to transfigure Mr. Potter and yourself into a pocket-watch, that way one of you might be on time." Professor McGonagall replied. I sniggered at Harry's frighted expression before he was interrupted by Hermione elbowing him in the ribs. "We got lost." said Harry. "Then perhaps a map? I trust you don't need one to find your seats." Professor McGonagall stated as the two boys shamefully looked to the ground and quietly found their seats.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Potions was something that I was really looking forward too, for some reason I just had a good feeling about it. I was speaking to Hermione about how I could finally put my cauldron too good use but I was interrupted by the sound of the door being slammed which ultimately shocked the students and the classroom filled with silence as the Professor walked to the podium, man this guy loves a dramatic entrance I thought. Professor Snape began his lecture "There will be no foolish wand waving or silly incantations in this class. As such, I don't expect many of you to appreciate the subtle science and exact art that is potion making. However, for those select few..." I noticed that Professor Snape looked at Draco, who smiled back to the teacher, odd I thought. Professor Snape continued his rant "Who possess the predisposition, I can teach you how to bewitch the mind and ensnare the senses. I can tell you how to bottle fame, brew glory and even put a stopper... in death."

Professor Snape's attention shifted to Harry, who was furiously writing in his book."Then again..." Professor Snape said. "Maybe some of you have come to Hogwarts in possession of abilities so formidable that you feel confidant enough to not...pay...attention." Hermione nudges Harry who quickly shifts his attention to Professor Snape who suddenly has an evil smirk across his face. The Professor slowly strutted across the room, still keeping his eyes on Harry. "Mr Potter. Our...new...celebrity. Tell me, what would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?" Harry looked at the ground and shrugged his shoulders as myself and Hermione eagerly raised our hands. "You don't know? Well, let's try again. Where, Mr. Potter, would you look if I asked you to find me a bezoar?" Asked Professor Snape. Again Hermione and I raised our hands while Harry mumbled "I don't know sir..." "How about the difference between monkshood and wolfbane? asked Professor Snape. And again, Hermione and I raised our hands while Harry mumbled "I don't know sir..." Professor Snape's evil smirk grew as he said "Pity. Clearly, fame isn't everything... is it, Mr. Potter?". "Harry's face went red as he responded with "Clearly Hermione and (Y/N) know the answers" Snape moved away from Harry and stared at the two of them. "Mr (L/N), Miss Granger if you two are such know-it-alls then maybe you'd be so kind to answer for Mr Potter". "Well asphodel and wormwood make a sleeping potion-" Hermione cut me off "So powerful it is known as the Draught of the living dead" I said as we both turned and smiled at each other. "A bezoar is a stone taken from the stomach of a goat and it will save you from most poisons" I explained. "Monkshood and Wolfsbane are the same plant, which also goes by the name aconite" Hermione beaten me to it, damm. Snape looked frustrated at our precise answers. "Well done Mr (L/N) and Miss Granger." Professor Snape said." It seems some people learn more than others." Snape sneered as he looked down at Harry. "I'll be taking away 5 points for your cheek Potter, maybe it'll teach you to pick up a book once in while..." Said Snape.

I'm trying to catch up for you guys. Also, do you guys prefer 1st, 2nd or 3rd POV? Hope you enjoy!

-Sam F