《46》

MISHTI'S POV

The engagement was over but the guests were still there. Naira di and Abhishek were attending the guests. I wanted to talk to di. So I walked towards her and grabbed her hand.

"Sorry aunty ji...but I wanna talk to di", I said and dragged her to the corner.

"What's your problem Mishti?", she asked irritated, jerking my hand away.

"Di...what's my problem? I should be the one asking you this question....what's your problem di? Why are you marrying this jerk?", I asked her pointing towards Abhishek.

Di sighed and looked at me.

"I've told you Mishti. Why are you still asking this question?", Naira di asked.

"Because I care for you and I know that Abhishek is not good for you. You're gonna hurt yourself by marrying him. He and his family are looking for self advantages. They just want a daughter in law who listens and agrees to every stupid demand they make. They think that you are the one. Di....didn't you find it strange? They didn't have any objection with your pregnancy....your early life. As far as I know....Indian families have hundred percent objections for these things. They are doing this only for their selfish needs", I tried to explain her, hoping she would understand.

"Mishti....I can understand your concern but maybe it isn't anything you're thinking. Its not necessary no that everyone's mentality should be same. They must be open minded. I'm thankful to them that they accepted me", Naira di cupped my face and tried to explain me. I scoffed.

"Thankful! Are you serious di? Where's my sherni di? I'm telling you, you'll regret this decision. I've seen the horrible things Abhishek has done with you. I wonder how low he can stoop after marriage", I said and di's eyes got wide. She held my shoulders tightly and looked directly into my eyes.

"Mishti...please don't say it to anybody. Please sister....I beg you", Naira di pleaded.

"Why? Because he warned you that he'll destroy this family...come on di you supposed to be so brave...what happened to you? He's just trapping you", I removed her hands from shoulder and talked to her eye to eye.

"Di...you still have time. You can change your decision. I'll talk to maa papa. You can go to your Kartik", I said holding her hands.

"Mishti enough is enough. Kartik is past. Everything's past now. There's no going back. Why can't you forget him?", Naira di asked frustrated.

"Because you can't forget him. You won't be able to forget him because you love him", I said cupping her face.

"But he doesn't love me", Naira di said with a straight face.

"He lov-", I was gonna complete my sentence that someone called di.

"Yes aunty ji....I'm coming", she replied and turned towards me.

"Mishti....we won't speak about this ever again. Please forget Kartik and lemme forget him. We'll never speak anything about Kartik or any topic related to Kartik. Kha meri kasam?", she said and I looked at her wide eyed.

"But di-", I started to say but she interrupted me.

"Mishti", she raised her voice and I nodded unwillingly.

--------------------------------

KARTIK'S POV

It was afternoon and I was sitting in my study working on a presentation. I picked up the mug of coffee and took a sip. My eyes caught sight of Siya. She was sitting on the swing alone. Her head was hung down and she drew something on the ground with the stick.