-Chapter 110-

Day: 153

Days Left: 5327

Lives Saved: 0

Back at the house, Harmony wrapped herself in several layers of blankets and pillows and hid in the tent in the basement. When Corinna finally found her, she joined the young woman in the cramped tent. A hand poked out from underneath the lump of blankets and reached out. Corinna held onto it, and Harmony's hand squeezed hers then clung on loosely.

"I hurt her, didn't I?" said Harmony, her voice muffled underneath all of the pillows. "I hurt Ivette."

Not sure how to respond, Corinna rubbed her thumb along Harmony's palm, comforting the young woman. "I'm sure she knows you didn't mean to." Corinna winced, realising that those words will unlikely help. "She knows you had her best intentions at heart."

"But it wasn't what she wanted." Harmony sighed. "I forced her. Even though she kept on saying that she didn't want to go..." She paused. "I thought everyone wanted to be free. Even Calixte doesn't seem eager to leave."

"Well," Corinna hesitated. "Calixte seems to have been here for quite some time. He's never heard of a computer or the internet. Doesn't know what a car is either. He's from another time period. I suppose... if he goes back he won't be home but in a strange new place. He might feel overwhelmed. He's become so adjusted to here-"

"But that's the thing," said Harmony. "The first few weeks in any new place is overwhelming. But then it's fine. Why can't he see that back there is way better than here?"

Once again, Corinna didn't have an answer. She continued to hold onto the young woman's hand.

"And Ivette," Harmony continued. "How could she decide to stay here just for a bunch of plants? I just don't understand..."

Corinna desperately wanted to be out of the Eternal Abyss, just like Harmony. But she couldn't. To do so would end her family's lives, and that was something Corinna valued far more than her own freedom and happiness. She understood Ivette's decision completely.

"Sometimes, people sacrifice their own well-being for those that they care about," said Corinna. "If they're happy and safe then you are too, even if you're in... an eternal abyss. And sometimes if someone else is... in an eternal abyss, you want to stay with them. Because you care about them and don't want them to be alone, you'll stay with them even if you are free to leave yourself."

"Ivette cares that much about those stupid plants?" scoffed Harmony.

Corinna rubbed her eyes. "It's not the plants that she cares about, Harmony. That wasn't what she stayed for-"

"Her trading business then? I suppose she'll have to start from scratch up there-"

"No, Harmony..." Corinna bit her bottom lip. It was futile trying to get Harmony to realise that Ivette stayed for her. How could Harmony even come to that conclusion? From her perspective, Ivette was just someone Harmony traded with and occasionally talked to. But Ivette, she knew Harmony before her memory loss. The bond still existed for Ivette even if it didn't for Harmony.

"I still don't understand her reasons," said Harmony. "But I know what I did was wrong. I shouldn't have forced her to go."

"After the blood moon, we'll go to Ivette's, and you can talk to her about what happened.

The pile of blankets and pillows rumbled as Harmony gave a nod from underneath. She emerged from the heap, a blanket draped around her head, and sat up next to Corinna, their hands still connected.

They both gave each other a weak smile.

After a moment of silence, Harmony said, "I've got a new escape plan."

Corinna froze for a second, her body tensing up. "What is it?"

"Calixte told me about it," explained Harmony. "Every few months there's a portal above the Land of the Lost. It stays open longer than the rest." She paused. "I'm gonna escape through it."

"How long until it opens next?"

"Thirty days."

"Oh..." Corinna's hand almost let go of Harmony's, but she grasped tightly onto it. She knew the day would come when Harmony went back to trying to escape. She had dreaded it but knew it was inevitable. Something inside of her stomach twinged with pain like it was being stabbed from the inside. How could she still have such selfish thoughts? Harmony would be happy being free, and Corinna wanted that to happen even if it meant leaving her side.

"We should get your mask," said Corinna. "You'll be able to escape easier with it."

Harmony stared back at her, her eyes wide in surprise.

"I know what I said before..." Corinna lowered her head. "I- I just... I thought I wouldn't be able to protect you. I can't protect you..."

"Corinna..." Harmony squeezed the young woman's hand, their fingers almost intertwining.

"And then I treated you so coldly whenever you brought it up..." Corinna sniffed, wiping her eyes. "I've become just like my mother... I didn't want to be reminded of how weak and useless I am to-"

"Corinna, you're not-"

"No, I am! I've been here for almost half a year, and I still don't have my own mask."

"It's already been that long?"

"Yeah." Corinna cleared her throat, then added sarcastically, "time flies when you're having fun."

Harmony smiled. "It has been fun." She lifted Corinna's chin up so that she was no longer looking down then wiped away a tear. "Because of you... I'm not just surviving anymore. I'm kind of 'living'. It's a pretty difficult feat, to make the Eternal Abyss a happier place to be imprisoned in. You might not have made it safer with your brawn, but you have with this..."

Harmony poked Corinna's forehead.

"And it's not just me you've helped make safer," Harmony continued. "Calixte and Ivette, Rin and Sumit. So don't sell yourself so short... even though you are kind of short."

Corinna glared at Harmony then broke down into a smile, still sniffing and rubbing her eyes.

"Anyway..." said Corinna. "We should find your mask. It's the blood moon tomorrow. I know we couldn't do it with just us two, but we've got Calixte now. He'll be able to help protect you whilst you're all trance-like. I know it's late notice, but I've already come up with a plan-"

"I don't think Calixte would handle being near the ocean very well."

"Oh..." Corinna's shoulders slumped. "Sorry, I completely forgot." She paused in thought. "Maybe we could go find it another day?"

Harmony shook her head. "It's fine. I don't think I'll need it."

Corinna frowned, sceptical. "You sure?"

"Yeah," said Harmony. "I've got a good feeling about it. I'm gonna escape just how I am now."