chapter two

•

GABRIELA'S EYES fluttered open as the golden sunlight filtered in through the window. She heard a low growl as something familiar—and wet—pressed against her cheek. Gabbie frowned as she realized what it was. It was Brownie, waking her up as usual. She sat up as the second alarm on her phone went off.

"Ugh, Brownie quit it." She groaned as she gently nudged him away. Gabbie yawned as she put a stop to her alarm ringing, checking the time as she did so. Her phone read No Service in the corner. With an annoyed sigh she got up and walked over to her window. She pushed away the light curtains to see the aftermath of Hurricane Agatha, which reminded her of last nights events. After going out with Pope and John B she'd returned home and snuck back through her window, leaving her board outside in its rack.

A knock sounded on her bedroom door along with her mother's voice, "Come help me clean up Agatha's mess outside!"

"Okay, Mom. Just let me get dressed." Gabbie answered as she went to rummage through her tan drawers. Her classic black swimsuit was still wet and hanging up from last night, so she grabbed a blue bandeau one instead. Along with that she threw on some ripped jean shorts and a t-shirt. Gabbie left her room and walked outside through the front door. Her mom was there, struggling to move some branches in their lawn.

"Hey sweetheart, the surfboard rack got knocked over. Come help me with it." Her mom said as Gabbie followed her over to the fallen over rack.

"Are the boards okay?" She asked as she examined the three surfboards they owned.

"They're fine, I'd be more worried about the boat." Her mom stated before grabbing onto one side of the rack, Gabbie then helping her lift it back upright.

Gabriela sighed, placing her hands on her hips she asked, "And the dog houses?"

Her mother shook her head, "Some of the planks flew off during the storm, shouldn't be that hard of a repair though."

"Okay, I'll go clean up by the docks."

"I'll clear up these branches over here." She agreed with a nod.

Gabbie walked over to the dock, her dogs running after her. She checked their boat, something they'd had as a family before her parent's divorce. Her father had left it. Well, he would just buy a newer one anyway. A branch had landed in it, leaving some damage to its hull. Gabriella sighed in annoyance, but was happy that it at least didn't sink. She gathered up some wooden planks from the dog houses and set them in a neat pile. Gabbie then grabbed ahold of the tree brunch, grunting as she tried to pull it out by herself. Several tries only ended with her almost falling into the water.