Chapter 20: Chaos

Unknown to everyone in the throne room of Mt. Olympus, not only were the Fates watching everything unfold, but Chaos himself.

Chaos birthed Nix, a primordial deity who personified the night, who in turn gave birth to Clotho, Lachesis and Atropos. Not many know of their genesis, but Chaos favoured them as they were one of his first grandchildren to be born. And in turn they loved him dearly and would change the fate of the world for him.

To many they appeared old and withered, but they were far from the truth as they can change their appearances much like the other gods can. And so to their grandfather they appeared to be in their twenties.

"This is expected but still disturbing. Zeus has been out of line for millennia and is becoming worse in his actions. This is not the type of leader I wanted for my first creations." Chaos utters disappointed to his granddaughters.

"All is going according to our design. It won't be easy for little Rhea but she will persevere. You made a good choice when you brought her here," Lachesis responded.

"Her heart is kind and her mind is strong. She was only six when I met her. I sensed her when I visited one of the worlds I created, the world parallel to this one. She shone brightly like the moon in the dark despite her upbringing of abuse from her parents. I turned myself into the form of a six year old boy and integrated myself to her life and for the first time in thousands of years, she brought a genuine smile to my face even with her young age," he says fondly, and continues, "I stayed there for years, I was her only friend and I knew, I knew her life would end tragically. I couldn't let that be the end of her."

"It is rare that someone would affect an immortal in such a way grandfather," Atropos said.

"Rare indeed," Clotho agreed with the sentiment.

"Do you plan on telling her?" Lachesis asks uncertain, because the destinies they create for the world have no effect on Chaos himself. He could destroy their world and they can't do anything about it, nor predict if it were to happen.

"Not yet. I will tell her when the time comes, when she is mature enough. She is finally happy with her family. I had to take her memories from her past to ensure she doesn't face that pain into her new life. I can ensure now that she has a better chance in life," he responds sadly.

"She will be upset with you," Atropos said.

"She will be, but I know her, she will understand why. I couldn't change what happened to her, I healed her wounds when her father hit her too hard, and I gave her food when her parents forgot to feed her. Fortunately I could manipulate the situation so that her grandparents took her in eventually and blocked her memories of her parents as much as I could without doing her any harm mentally."

"This is a dangerous world you placed her in," Lachesis stated.

He sighs and answers, "Fortunately I have a great grandson who would do anything for his first-born daughter; he would protect her and love her. Their bond is unbreakable. She will have many allies fighting for her."

"Many allies indeed, but that comes with time. Hestia is an ally but they rarely listen to her anymore. Hades' decision towards Rhea will soon be cemented when he meets her. And Apollo will not only be a good ally but also a friend," the Fates say interchangeably to him.

"The sun god knows Poseidon and Triton lied. It's a good thing that you warned him beforehand," Chaos states.

"He will tell no one, that we made sure of. He knows there would be dire consequences if he said anything," Atropos said with a vindictive smile on her face.

Chaos then looked into the eight year old's life as she listened to her biology teacher, looking more bored than anything else.

Of course she would be bored, that was her best subject in school. She then she went on to study this in University. No wonder she is advancing in school like she has been, he thought, feeling sorry for her.

Chaos watched over her, his beloved granddaughter. He looked into her life every few days to make sure she was alright, even when he knew she would be fine. He kept her scent hidden from the gods and the monsters. But knew that he had to let the Olympians find out about her sooner rather than later and so he allowed the gods to sense her in her little outburst.