chapter nine - enin retpahc

Unedited chapter
Recap:

"We're going to Hell."

__

Isaac's eyes popped. "But I didn't do anything bad!" Not acknowledging the heavy sigh I projected, he swept his bottom lip between his teeth and added, "I'm a good boy!"

"Okay, Isaac," I said, ripping through the green foliage. The honey ball of sunrise poured across the horizon, outlining the distant trees. Rocking up a hill, the jeep bounced onto the road and I checked for any signs of life. None. Only the face of Elvis Presley that bobbed on the front dashboard. We drove along the abandoned highway, Grim already out cold and snoring in the back while Isaac involuntarily accompanied me in the front.

"I'm always on Santa's Nice list!"

"Okay, Isaac."

"Not once did I find coal under my tree."

"Okay, Isaac."

"I always have a belt with my pants!"

"Okay, Isaac."

"I never wore my underwear twice!"

"Okay, Isaac."

He prolonged his voice into a childish whine. "I don't want to go to Hellllllll!"

My discreet tension suddenly snapped and I cut the engine and the car jerked. Grim's body fell off the seat with a thud. I targeted Isaac with a murderous glare. "Then leave." My forefinger unlocked his door. "Go."

There wasn't even a pause. He locked his door and shook his head, settling with his own silence. "I have nowhere to go," he whispered.

I turned the keys and the metal below us grinded, sparking back into the main priority. "That's what I thought."

Blond popped into my rearview mirror and I saw Grim rubs his eyes, registering the surroundings. "But he doesn't have to come. I mean, why is he here again?"

I threw the Elvis bobblehead at him. "Because he's evidence of my past, you dipshit."

"Ow!"

"You should go back to sleep," I called over my shoulder. He flicked me the finger, but it didn't take long until we heard his heavy breathing.

Isaac brought his knees to his chest, hugging them. He spoke in a small voice. "I-I-I don't think I was meant to go to Hell. I'm a symbol kind of person, Hatter. I need to see a sign in order for me to convinced and honestly, the cosmic forces have said nothing. Therefore, I shouldn't be going to Hell. If the universe doesn't want me, then I shouldn't."

I flipped on the radio and the voice of ACDC projected, "Highwaaaayyyyy to Hell."

Isaac's face twisted, mortified, and clicked to the next station. "If your world is all screwed up, then rearrange it." He grinned and leaned back. "Raise a little Hell, raise a little Hell, raise a little Hell!" He bolted forward and flipped to another station.

"Nobody's puttin' up a fight." He slowly smiled. "I got my bell I'm gonna take you to Hell." His smile fell. He pressed the arrow button but it was jammed. "I'm gonna get ya Satan get ya...Hells bells!" He let out a high pitch scream and kept pressing the button. "Hells bells you got me ringing." Isaac paled and his finger stabbed the button, finally unjamming it as the next song played. "Hey, hey, you, you, I want to be your girlfriend!"

Isaac's face softened and he sighed in relief. I deadpanned. "Really. Avril Lavigne?"

"Sshhhhh," he hushed, leaning back on the headrest.