12

[12]

SAD MOON

After Remus Lupin, there hadn't been a second werewolf for a long, long time. The Shrieking Shack was left barren and lifeless for so many years, it waited and waited for their next host. It guarded the haven with its long branches, patient and determined. Completely incidentally, Persephone Riddle had found the place in search of a hazel-eyed boy. And it was perfect. The exact place she needed.

If anyone saw the mess the two figures were in, it would be considerably hard to explain. Persephone wore a t-shirt and jeans in the harsh winter, contrasting to her usual fur coat, black dress, leather jacket and boots. Next to her, Finn wore singlets and shorts but he was still burning up. "You took the potion right?"

"Ye-es, I-I d-did," he replied quietly.

"It's okay Finn," Persephone whispered calmingly, her thin body shivering as the early January wind blew past her body into the wintry night. It, with the moon, mocked them mercilessly with howling cries and whistling winds. She held Finn tightly as the boy shook with pain. She noticed how the pale the boy was, his usual tanned skin looked as light as a ghoul. Soothingly, she drew circles round and round on his back. "I've got you."

As his bones began cracking one by one, he let out a strangled cry. "Hurry!"

Leaving the boy, she quickly transformed.

The thundering hooves split through the frozen air, its gallant figure blending into the darkness. The wind brushed by his black coat and it whispered her name like a single flame. Beside it, was a werewolf. The two poured into the forest, providing company to each other in the solitary night under the bad, bad moon.

Completely wasted by the crack of dawn, Persephone helped Finn to the Hospital Wing, with the empty flask of Wolfsbane in her hand. Helping him onto the hospital bed gently, she grabbed a chair to sit next to him. As soon as his head fell onto the pillow, he slipped from consciousness. His chest rose up and down weakly, his frail body curling into a small ball. With the help of both Persephone and the Wolfsbane potion, he had come out of the night with only small scars littering on his left wrist from subconsciously scratching himself.

Looking around, she didn't see Madame Pomfrey. Glancing at the clock, it was only a little past six in the morning. God, she was so tired. Standing up to leave, she turned around only to see Madame Pomfrey at the door.

"Ms Riddle, don't even think about it," Madame Pomfrey said she walked into the Hospital Wing. She had come early after noticing the full moon the night before. "You stay here, you need a check-up too."

Her entire body ached from last night. Chasing after Finn was no easy task. The lack of sleep wasn't unfamiliar to Persephone, but she didn't usually use the entire night running after a werewolf in the Forbidden Forest. Giving a weary smile, she stayed at her spot on the chair. As she lifted one of her arms, she let out a wince.

After she made sure Madame Pomfrey went to find a potion for Finn, she rolled up her sleeve. Seeing a long trail of bruises and wounds under her left arm, she reminisced the painful memory. They were chased by a group of centaurs. Sighing, she muttered the disillusionment charm, the patches of purple and green disappearing.

"Is he okay?" She asked, her voice slightly hoarse.

"Yes, just drained from the night," Madame Pomfrey responded, "I gave him a Wiggenweld potion."

"What about the scars?"

"I'll give him some dittany when he wakes up."

"Is it okay if you let him wake up on his own? He's probably exhausted," she said slowly. "He doesn't like the reviving potion."