[39] the horrors of deadlands.

Moon Colonies News: In one month, Saturn's government plans to celebrate the 550th anniversary of the construction of the RING BRIDGE which connects all its moons. Invitees will receive an e-mail, signed and sealed by Sheriff Pablo.

The shuttle could fit eight people at max, with two seats at the front, and three in the middle and back

The shuttle could fit eight people at max, with two seats at the front, and three in the middle and back. Chichi drove while Zorro sat beside her, reading an article about Mr. Shoelaces and his growing Shoelace Empire. Law enforcement didn't know who he was or why he only targeted shoelaces. But they had declared him a menace to the system and planned on stopping him at whatever cost.

Bentlee had taken the middle seats, sleeping throughout the journey. Wielding elemental weapons required a lot of strength and energy from mages. Without knowing what awaited in Deadland Egypt, it was wise for her to rest.

Wolf sat beside Lola in the back seats listening to You Want Some Sugar? Podcast, hosted by Laverse and Dahook. Lola had given him a wireless earphone, forcing him to listen. He thought they would be as terrible as Andy and Andina, but he was wrong. They talked about the Sugar Daddy And Mommy Underworld, where young men and women funded their education and businesses by being sugar babies. Some of them called in, revealing they never slept with their clients and still got paid hundreds of thousands. It was insane!

"We've arrived in Deadland Sudan," Chichi announced over the speakers.

The Indian Ocean separated the East African Society and the North African Deadlands. During the Race Wars, five countries had collapsed: Somalia, Eritrea, Djibouti, Ethiopia, and South Sudan. This allowed the ocean to move inland.

Wolf handed Lola the earphone, moved closer to the window, and stared outside. Brown trees and plants covered the area with space between them for vehicles to pass. An insect the size of a backpack whizzed past the shuttle.

"Woah!" Wolf leaned back, his heart thumping fast.

Wednesday had told him about Earth's insects before they went there for the first time. Their size ranged between thirty and one hundred and forty centimeters. She had shown him videos of Earthers hunting the insects and eating them. One appearing in front of him caught him off-guard.

Lola giggled. "Wolfie, they don't, like, bite."

"I know." The insects ate plants, and plants ate insects. The only threats in the deadlands were mutants and other travelers. "Look at that." Wolf pointed at a grasshopper caught in a plant's leaf teeth, trying to fight its way out. The toxic air had forced that evolution—leaf teeth—on every plant.

"It's like, beautiful," Lola said.

Wolf looked at her. She stared at him. They moved closer to each other, about to kiss. Chichi's voice rang through the speakers, "Mutants up ahead."

"Like, how many?"

"Over a hundred," Zorro replied.

"A hundred? What are they doing in this part of the continent, I suppose?" Bentlee had woken up with puffy red eyes. She rubbed them with the back of her hand before standing up and going to the front of the shuttle.