Chapter 5: Maggies Nightmare

"Maggie!!"

Maggie jumped up in alarm. Ms Finnigan was looking at her with her arms crossed. Sensing that she had just been asked a question Maggie answered, "I'm sorry?"

"Your dream homework Ms Lacroix. Where is it?"

Everyone in class was staring at her. Maggie started searching her bag but she couldn't find it any books or anything.

"Hang on. I'm sure I did it last-..ow...It's gotta be here somewhere. Ow."

"Are you alright Maggie?"

No she wasn't. Her stomach hurt. And there were shooting pains going up and down her arms. She dumped out her bag on her desk. She had never cared about her homework this much before but for some reason this felt really, REALLY important. 

"Maggie?"

"I'm sorry, I'm sure I had it in my bag this morning. I don't know whats happening" She tried to explain while at the same time wondering why she felt so warm right now.

"You don't look well dear. Maybe you should go see the nurse."

With a glum nod Maggie stood up and to her surprise her desk fell over and took the kid in front of her with it. Everyone in class turned and began to whisper. Some were laughing.

Maggie's felt a familiar sense of de ja vu. She had been in this situation before and half expected to look down and find that she was naked. She's had that dream before.

No, her clothes were on. But they weren't doing much. 

The cuffs of her jeans were now pulled taught around her kneecaps and her sweater was now a T-shirt exposing her midriff to the whole class.

"Maggie!" The teacher gasped in amazement. "Sweet Mary child. You seem to have had another growth spurt."

"No Really? You think!" Maggie yelled. The teacher barely came up to Maggies chest now. 

"If she grows anymore, her butt won't be able to fit through the door. We'll all be trapped in here." Was someones witty remark and was quickly followed with, "Gothzilla!!!" from the other side of the room. The class began laughing.

"Hey shut up!  You want to swallow some- OW!!" Maggie grabbed her right shoulder. The pain was getting worse.

"Maggie I think you should go to the nurses office. Don't worry about the homework I'll just fail you." Ms Finnigan escorted her to the door as the class continued to laugh and jeer. 

"what's wrong Maggie? Growing pains?!"

Maggie clenched her teeth and slammed the door. The trip to the nurses office was a slow one. Her arms and legs hurt so much.  Her head was pounding.  When she got to the nurses office she just wanted to lay down on the nearby cot.. But for some reason the nurse was freaking out about something. Who cares. Just let me get some shut eye.

Crash!

The cot gave way and Maggie fell flat on the floor. The nurse was crabbing out even louder. "I told you! You're too big! You need to get out of here, or I'm calling the police."

What? Calling the police? What kind of crap dream is this?

"Look we both know how this is going to play out. Just let me lie here till morning." Maggie flopped down on the flattened cot, trying to get comfortable. She could feel her feet burst out of her shoes.

"You can't sleep in the school building overnight. It's against the rules." Said the irritable old nurse. "That's it! I'm calling the cops."

The nurse left. But the door was swinging wide open and the ponytail girl from gym class stuck her head in. "Hey, I'm looking for the nurse. Have you-" Her eyes fastened on Maggie and began laughing. "Are you comfy?"