Unfair (Jaehyun) Part~2

The paper on the desk was blank, as opposed to the chaos erupting in the mind of the owner. Y/N couldn't bring herself to draw a logo without feeling a gamut of emotions. When she finally accepted her state of lack of creativity, she collapsed on her bed.

"You saw what she wanted you to see!" Jaehyun's words were still ringing in her ears and no matter how hard she tried, she couldn't stop thinking about it.

Could it be true? Had she misunderstood the situation? No. Y/N had clearly caught them red-handed.

Y/N remembered that day as clearly as if it was yesterday, maybe because she had replayed it in her head countless times. It was the night of their college graduation after-party, at a senior's house. Jaehyun had gone off to get them drinks, leaving her with Jiwoo, her best friend. Jiwoo then received a call and told Y/N that she'd be going to one the rooms on the upper floor where it would be quieter.

Y/N had started it worry when neither her boyfriend nor her best friend returned after being gone long. She headed to the upper floor where she expected to find Jiwoo. Y/N was astounded when she saw the two alone in the room. They had jumped away from each other when she had opened the door. But she had already seen the kiss. The damage was done. There was no mistaking the guilt on Jiwoo's face, which only reinforced her thoughts. But Jaehyun grew anxious by the second when Y/N just stood there saying nothing. He took a step closer to Y/N and the latter involuntarily stepped back.

Incredulity flashed across Jaehyun's face as he stepped forward again but Y/N turned around and sprinted away from the scene of crushing betrayal. She heard Jaehyun shouting after her but she didn't want to see his lying face again.

Jaehyun had shown up to her house the next day, trying to make her see that it was all a misunderstanding. He spared no effort in trying to make her believe but Jiwoo hadn't even tried.

A year later Y/N received a call from an unknown number. It was Jiwoo, wanting a word with her but Y/N had shut her out as she had done with Jaehyun. But now that Y/N thought about it, she regretted it immensely.

.

Y/N stood in front of a familiar building. Her college that always bustled with life, looked livelier than ever. Jiwoo worked in this college now, Y/N knew that from their circle of friends. She had thought that it would require much effort to locate Jiwoo, but this must've been her lucky day because she caught sight of the woman coming out of a building.

She walked towards her and when Jiwoo's eyes fell on Y/N, she almost dropped the papers she had been carrying. "Never thought I'd see you here again," Jiwoo said when Y/N came within earshot.

"Hi, how have you been?" She asked.

"Um, good," she said. "And you?"

"Fine. Jiwoo, listen, I need to speak with you. Do you have time?"

Jiwoo's face became grim as if she knew what Y/N wanted to talk about. "Yeah," She said at last. "Follow me." She led Y/N to a quiet part of the university, one where Y/N wished she hadn't. This place was a witness to too many happy memories, memories that now only caused pain. The two women walked on the graveled path where once Y/N had strolled with Jaehyun, hand in hand. The bench she sat on was once occupied by her and Jaehyun where they ate lunch. And the trees in front of her had once provided the canopy for their first kiss.

Y/N closed her eyes, pushing the memories and the feelings accompanying them aside. She, then, turned to Jiwoo. "I want to know, what really happened that night at the party."

Jiwoo bit her lip and looked at her hands in her lap. "What I did... you'll never forgive me," she said as if it pained her. Y/N didn't speak so Jiwoo continued. "I liked Jaehyun since the first time I met him. And when you started going out with him, I felt so betrayed."

"Jiwoo, I never knew you liked him," said Y/N, her eyebrows raised.

"I know, but I was still so... irrationally angry and jealous," she said before taking a deep breath. "I thought, if I couldn't have him then neither could you," she winced at her own words. Y/N felt her insides boiling, she wanted to shout at Jiwoo but she let her continue. "At the party, I called him upstairs. I spoke to him about my feelings, I already knew it was futile because any idiot could see that he was in love with you.

"I didn't let him leave, I was stalling for time because I'd already told you where I was going so I knew you'd come looking for me. And then, as soon as the door opened, I kissed him," Jiwoo closed her eyes, a bitter expression on her face. "After a year, I realized my mistake and I tried to contact you but..." she trailed off.

Y/N felt like she'd been punched in the gut. "Jiwoo, you were my best friend. How could you, of all people, do that to me?"

"Y/N, I'm so sorry," Jiwoo said hurriedly. "I didn't realize what I was doing back then. I'm so, so sorry."

Y/N stood up, "the only reason I held Jaehyun responsible was that I couldn't even imagine you could do that." She let out an agonizing breath. "I've got to go."

"Y/N," Jiwoo had gotten up too. "I know I'm asking for a lot when I say this, and I know that I don't even deserve it, but, could you find it in yourself to forgive me?"

Y/N looked at her incredulously, "you're right, you don't deserve it," and with that, she strode off.

Y/N wanted to speak to Jaehyun, but he hadn't contacted her on the email address she'd given him. She called him after getting his number from Ten. And then she arranged a meeting with him. And while waiting for that fateful day, she tried to draw the logo. She could easily draw a few designs now that the creativity was coming in after knowing the truth.

"Hm, here-" Jaehyun pointed towards a design on the sheet - "I want this part to be bigger," he said.

"Right," said Y/N, noting down the point. The two were sitting in the cafe they had been to a few days back.

"I guess this is it, then," said Jaehyun. He grabbed his drink and his phone, preparing to leave.

"Wait." Y/N mustered up her courage. Jaehyun looked at her questioningly. "Can we... talk?" She asked tentatively.

"About what?" Jaehyun asked, placing his drink back on the table.

"About what happened two years ago," she said.

Jaehyun raised his brows in surprise. "Why now?"

"Well, what you said the last time, it got me thinking," she stated honestly. "I met up with Jiwoo and asked her about what happened. And she told me the truth."

Jaehyun narrowed his eyes, "what did she say?"

"She said that she had called you and that you weren't cheating on me," she said sheepishly. Jaehyun's face relaxed and he looked away. "Jaehyun, I'm really sorry for not trusting you. When I saw you and Jiwoo, I just... believed the worst."

"Y/N, I don't blame you for feeling betrayed, obviously you couldn't control that. But, you could've controlled what happened next. You could've listened to me, at least. Every time that I told you that I loved you did you you think I was lying or what?"

Y/N hung her head in shame, not being able to meet his eyes. "I'm sorry," she whispered.

"It really hurt, you know?" He said quietly. Y/N didn't dare look at him, otherwise, she would definitely start crying. "The way you looked at me that night." A sigh. "Well, what now? You can't expect us to go back to the way it used to be."

"I know," she said quickly, finally looking at him. "I didn't expect you to forgive me. But, can you, please, give me a chance to earn forgiveness?" She asked hopefully and her mind went back to the conversation she had had with Jiwoo, who wanted to be forgiven too. Everyone can make mistakes, Y/N thought to herself. Maybe she could give Jiwoo a chance.

Jaehyun gave a small nod and Y/N smiled. "We can... with baby steps, I guess," said Jaehyun, his smile broadening with each word.

xxx

Question: in your opinion should Y/N forgive Jiwoo?

As for me, I've learned that life is too short for grudges. And me, personally, I don't want any regrets. So I think Jiwoo should be forgiven.

Please vote and comment!