Chapter 62

Fred finally managed to convince me to join them. So grumpily, I put a hand on his shoulder for support and raised my feet so he could put a spell on the back of my shoes and turn them suitable for ice-skating.

     "If I fall down and die, I'll kill you, Weasley," I snarled as I stumbled towards the frozen lake, holding his arm so I wouldn't lose balance.

     "You won't fall," he said firmly, taking his first step on the ice. "Put your trust in Fred Weasley."

     "Oh, yes. My knight in shining armor," I said flatly, rolling my eyes.

George was already skating ahead of us in circles as Fred held both my hands in support and I took carful steps on the ice.

"I'm gonna die... I'm gonna die..." I muttered as he dragged me slowly forward.

"Oh, stop being so dramatic, woman!" said Fred.

"Yeah, you're not gonna die," said George with a grin. "Maybe just break your spine."

"That's it! I'm leaving!" I yelped.

"Fine. Suit yourself," Fred grinned, skating away from me and leaving me a feet away from the edge.

I froze on my spot, not being able to move neither backwards, nor forward.

"FREDRICK WEASLEY! GET YOUR ARSE BACK HERE!"

Fred and George started laughing at my helpless state.

"Oh, you boys better hope I don't get out of here or I'd kill you both!"

They only laughed harder at that.

"Fine, then," I said stubbornly and started to bend down as slowly as possible and sat down right there on the ice, although it did hurt my back in the end anyway.

"Oh, c'mon, love," Fred grinned, standing before me and putting his hands in his pockets. "Don't be like that."

"Hmph!" I folded my arms, looking away.

"George, a hand?" Fred called out and so George skated forwards and together, they each took a hold on either of my arms and forcefully pushed me up.

I was expecting them to take me back to the grounds, but they slid and carried me towards the middle of the lake as I screamed and cursed them, but they only kept laughing.

It felt like we were there for hours, but in the end, I had managed to let go of my fear and learned how to ice-skate a bit — even though I fell down on my back every five minutes.

In the end, we finally decided to go back to the Great Hall to get something to eat and warm up.

But the moment they raised their wands and turned our shoes back to normal and we walked on the snow, I immediately bent down and made a snowball, throwing it and hit the back of Fred's neck.

"Oi!" Fred yelled at me as I started to run away. But the next moment, both him and George took out their wands and bewitched at least a dozen snowballs to fly at me, some of them hitting the window of the Gryffindor tower above us as I ran.

"CHEATERS!" I yelled as I tried to hide behind a tree for shelter.

"Oy!" we looked up at the Gryffindor tower, seeing Ron sticking his head out of the window. He clearly hadn't noticed it was us and probably thought we were just a few noisy first years. So he bellowed, "I am a prefect and if one more snowball hits this window — OUCH!"

Fred and George had bewitched the snowballs again and sent them flying towards Ron, hitting him in the face and so he withdrew his head sharply, closing the window behind him.

"Get out of there, Lex," said George as I hid myself behind the tree trunk.

"Yeah," Fred chuckled. "We're not gonna hurt you."

"Yeah, right," I scoffed, knowing that I would be safe there.

But the next moment, the enchanted snowballs came flying towards me and started hitting me again.

"I'LL KILL YOU!"

***

The last D.A. lesson before Christmas soon arrived and I wad once again alone in our dormitory. Even Kathrine, surprisingly, was a part of Dumbledore's Army, therefore leaving our dorm empty for me.

     I sat in my bed, reading the theoretical ways of doing a spell, the way to say them, and their wand movements.

     I caught up with the load of homework that the teachers had set upon us until the door to our room finally opened and Lavender and Parvati walked in, followed shortly by Kathrine.

     I didn't question where Hermione was, knowing that she would be in the common room with Ron and Harry, discussing his kiss with Cho.

     But soon, after an hour or two, Hermione came inside the dorm as well. I put away my books and got under my bed sheets along with the other four girls.

     By the still sound of silence and their rhythmic breathings, I could tell that they were now all asleep, but for some reason, I couldn't get myself to even close my eyes that night.

     I laid down on my bed, staring at the ceiling and playing with the necklace around my neck, lost in my own thoughts.

     I kept thinking about my mother and wondered why she had never told me she was a witch, if she really were one.

     Was it because my father had asked her not to involve me with it? Was he so against the idea of the wizarding world that he disapproved of me even reading the Harry Potter books?

     And if so, why would he hate it so much? If that was the case, what made him hate magic so much that be would forbid my mother from doing it anymore?

      Maybe Sirius has an explanation for all of this, I thought to myself. Maybe he can confirm that my mother was in fact a witch and explain why my father hated it.

     I promised myself that I would talk to him the next time I'd see him, and this time he could bring no more excuses. So then I wondered when was going to be the next I'd see him

   But then, as if just coming to my senses, I jumped off the bed, my eyes widened in horror when I realized what was going to happen tonight.

     Mr. Weasley...