16 | ❝ I Like You! ❞

Kiara

I was at the college library, researching some topics under Behavioral and Cognitive Psychology--the pleasant yet musty smell of old books engulfing me--when my phone vibrated with a notification.

I sneaked a glance at the strict librarian to make sure she wasn't looking and checked my phone.

Hayden

Hey, where are you?

Rose's words echoed in my mind as I read the message.

"He likes you, Ki!"

I shook my head vigorously, trying to shake the thought off of my mind.

Kiara

At the library, why?

Hayden

Ok, stay right there.
Don't move!

Kiara

Wait, why?!

He didn't reply, and the text he sent was giving me anxiety. Biting my lip nervously, I glanced up and noticed him making his way towards me, grinning from ear-to-ear.

Lowkey creeping me out with the toothy smiling, but okay.

Once he reached my table, he leaned forward and whispered, "Are you free tomorrow?"

I blinked up at him in confusion. "What?"

"Are you free tomorrow?" he repeated.

What is he up to now?

"Um . . . Let me check my schedule," I mumbled, tapping on my phone.

He sighed dramatically. "Seriously? Do you always have to check your 'schedule' to know whether you are free?"

"I have a short-term memory, okay?" I defended.

He chuckled before raising his eyebrows at me, a hint of amusement glinting in his eyes.

"Really?"

Actually, no, doofus, it's because I'm too nervous around you. I have no idea why I'm even checking my schedule when I just know that I have nothing special tomorrow. My social life is nil.

I exhaled loudly. "So, like, I don't really have anything tomorrow, but, you know, you can't really be sure--" He clamped his hand against my mouth, cutting me off.

"I'll pick you up at four then." He winked.

I blinked up at him, startled, as he withdrew his hand.

"What do you mean?" I implored, frowning.

But this guy just turned on his heel and walked off, ignoring me.

"Hayden!" I almost whisper-shouted, earning some dirty looks from the librarian and the surrounding students.

I smiled at them sheepishly and grabbed my phone while maintaining my gaze on the jerkface whom I call 'Hayden.'

Ain't it funny calling your crush 'jerkface'? I seriously can't understand myself.

Kiara

HAYDEN!

WHAT DO YOU MEAN?! WHY WOULD
YOU PICK ME UP AT FOUR?! WHY?