29. Silence

The streets of New York bustled to life outside the window as the strong smell of coffee wafted through the air. The timid waitress gave the young woman a smile as she thanked her, leaving the tray brewed coffee and a large muffin behind for her.

Rainy glanced over at her food before looking back at the blank page on the laptop screen.

She tried to weigh out her options, to eat or not to eat.

Even though she had done no work whatsoever, she felt like she needed a well deserved break. Scrolling on her phone whilst pretending to be productive had really drained her. She was exhausted.

With a lazy grin, Rainy reached over for her blueberry muffin and unwrapped it. She had been in the coffee shop for a good few hours now, her flatmate who was also her closest friend had asked her if she could do the grocery shop which only meant one thing. She wasn't allowed back to the flat because her dear friend would be having animalistic sex with her new boyfriend. That was their secret word for the other person to leave the small flat for a few hours. It was a one time thing so when it was said, neither of them could question it.

The flat was cramped and the walls were so thin that you could hear everything.

Rainy had used up her word on her one year anniversary with Elijah. And Valentine's Day. And then her birthday.

She winced, knowing she couldn't argue when she had used up her pass more than once this year.

She just hoped her friend was having the time of her life.

Taking a sip of the scorching coffee, she sighed looking around aimlessly at the somewhat empty coffee shop. There were disregarded mugs and rubbish scattered around a few vacant tables.

Thinking about her flatmate having sex had made her frown. She wasn't sure why she was thinking about her relationship, but she had not seen Elijah for almost a week.

He wasn't avoiding her was he?

Rainy pursed her lips, taking another sip before looking down at her laptop.

He had always been distant in their relationship, but lately she felt like he was avoiding her.

Maybe there was something wrong with her, she thought to herself.

Or maybe he had found out about everything.

Her eyes went wide with fear at the thought alone and she shook her head, looking like a crazy person. It wasn't like she had any leg to stand on, she had slept with his uncle multiple times. She couldn't be mad when she was playing him like a fool.

Silver Rivera was not a man that any woman could simply ignore. He was sinfully attractive, ruthless and had a way of getting what he wanted.

There was something about him that she couldn't explain, she didn't understand the unsettling feeling in her stomach whenever she was around him.

It wasn't like anything she had ever felt before.

Rainy was deep in thought when she heard the shrill of the bell ringing above the door. Looking up, she spotted a familiar face entering the shop and immediately a loud sigh left her mouth.

It was about time.

Brown shoulder length hair came into view, a confused look on the freckled face, hazel eyes scanned the room quickly before falling on the mess of curls. Her brown skin held a rich glow to it, her features were nothing short of beautiful.

The brunette's mouth fell wide open, and a shit-eating grin plastered across her heart-shaped face.

"Rain... You'll never believe it!"

The ecstatic woman came bounding over, she pushed the chair out with no warning and sat down opposite the slightly agitated young woman. Pressing her lips together in an excited way, her hand slammed down onto the table.

"It's been four hours Laleh." Rainy muttered, feeling the dull headache grow.

Despite the fact that they had been friends for as long as she could remember, she could never be prepared for what came out of her mouth. They had bonded over their similar upbringings at school, both belonging to strict Middle Eastern families, they had experienced the same struggles. During their teenage years they had done enough rebelling, and now in their early twenties, the pair were unmanageable. It was safe to say when together they were together, no one could come in-between them.

When Rainy heard the words, 'He's hung like the fucking Trojan horse' come out of her friend's mouth, her eyebrows shot up in surprise.

"That still doesn't change the fact that I've been sitting here for four hours." She huffed, before biting down her bottom lip. "Did you say Trojan horse?"

Laleh nodded, reaching over to snatch the muffin from the tray. She took a generous bite earning yet another glare from across her.

"So can I come back now?"

That was when she saw the sheepish smile, and then there was a short pause. "About that... We really do need to go grocery shopping, so why don't you get the food by yourself this week."

Rainy mouth fell agape at the poor attempt of a hint, she kicked her foot out harshly under the table coming into contact with the legs opposite her. "No! No way, I refuse to sit here any longer."

The pure disbelief in her tone made the Laleh wince and grip onto the coffee cup with a firm hold. "I hate to be that bitch but you give me no choice. I'll bring Vegas into this if I really have to."

"Oh you wouldn't."

"I think we both know I would."

They both stared at each other for the longest time, pleading hazel eyes staring back at her, she even saw the formation of a pout.

"I'll be back at the flat in one hour with the groceries, Trojan Horse better be out by the time I'm home."

Laleh laughed softly at the nickname, she got up from her seat and leaned over to place a kiss upon the unimpressed girl's cheek. There was only one thought running through her mind as she thought of what to do for the next hour.

It was the perfect excuse to go and see him.

Rainy needed to talk to him.