Part 14

This was going to be the toughest part. He is mentally preparing himself for it. This was not the way he wanted to say it to her, but the circumstances had left him with no options. Without pulling his gaze away from hers he comes and sits on the bed besides her. Looking intensely into her eyes, wanting to catch onto her every expression, he softly says "Marry me".

There is pin drop silence. Both could hear each other's heart beats. Arnav is trying to read the various emotions that flowed over her face. He could read every expression on her face as it changed from surprise, to happiness, then hurt and finally it comes to rest on anger.

"Arnavji" in anger khushi retorts.

But before she could continue he says "Khushi don't over react. I am asking you to marry me because this is the only way we can keep him from coming after you and you can get a chance to stay with Di and protect her. Look we cannot tell this to anyone yet so I cannot ask anyone to look after DI. Akash and Payal need time to understand and enjoy life so I cannot ask them. You know with mamiji and her stuff Payal will have to adjust to all that, and I think Akash needs to look into that first before getting involved with all this. Besides you married off would leave him with no choice but to leave you alone. You already know my views about marriage. We can have a contractual marriage for six months and except the two of us no one will know about it. During these six months we would have sorted out the stuff and you could leave. As it is everyone knows about my nature, so after six months you can put the entire blame on me for this broken marriage and leave. No one will blame you and I will take the entire brunt of it. I can do anything for my Di. You would be a free bird after this and go anywhere you like and will get whatever you want." He could sense her anger rising at his last sentence.

Had he asked her to do this as a favour to save his sister's life, she would have willing done anything for him, but this 'take what you want' was too much for her. "Mr. Raizada I think you are too full of yourself. Why don't you get someone else to marry you and protect your di. " It was too difficult for her to say this. How could she see him married off to someone else? But this was not what she had expected. He still thinks that his wealth can buy anything that he wants.

"Khushi" his anger rising "that will not solve the purpose. Damn it, it's you that he wants and not any other girl. So it's you who has to be married off and not me. You need to be put out of his reach. Don't you understand" saying this he shakes her by her shoulders. It was getting worse every minute. He could not look at her bewildered expressions any more. Nor could he continue saying that someone else wants his khushi, his happiness, his life, his world. It hurt more than anything else. Everything would come crumbling down if she was not in his world, not in his arms, not in his life. He stands up and starts pacing the room, trying to control his temper.

Khushi looks aghast at what she has just heard and the look of pain that she had glimpsed in his eyes when he had said "it's you that the wants". It was as if he was being torn apart, as if someone was taking something very precious from him. She is unable to understand him. What is it that he is doing? Why is he doing it, why is he hurting himself and causing pain to her? "WHY" she looks at him, but is unable to find any answers to these questions. When the nurse had told her that he had been there in the hospital the whole night, she had thought that it had been because of her. But now it seemed that he had been there thinking out this plan and had wanted to discuss this with her. All her hopes had come crashing down. She looks at her hands folded neatly on her knees. She is unable to say or do anything. She swallows the tears that were brimming in her eyes.

Arnav stops pacing the room and comes and sits beside her. "Look Khushi, I know I am asking too much from you. But believe me this is the only solution. I know I have hurt you time and again and am doing it again, but believe me I will not cross any limits while we are together. We will be a perfect married couple in everyone's eyes, but in our room you will be free to do what you like." Saying this he pauses waiting for her response. On getting none he continues" you have the entire day today to think over it. Let me know your answer by evening. Time, is one thing that we do not have. We have to think ahead of him. I am leaving the decision for you to take." Saying this he again gets up from the bed and walks over to the window.

His voice had softened when he had said leaving the decision to her. She felt him becoming vulnerable again, letting others take decisions for him. He was really shaken to the core. He had been in charge of everything till now but now he was putting the ball in her court, waiting for her to decide. The entire plan now rested on her decision. She took a deep breath to calm herself. She needed time to think. His phone rings.