Chapter 17: Thomas

A/N:30.04.20

What is the most memorable dream you've had? Or the last one you remember?

Mine was: I was fighting a war with walking, talking trees in China.

And guess what?

We were losing 🤪

⤵️⤵️⤵️

*Thomas's pov*

I cussed under my breath, running as fast as I could. I looked around and saw a group of guys who looked like they were in their mid-twenties huddling around a small blond boy who stuck out like a sore thumb, clean and groomed.

"Hey!" I barked, running down the road and almost getting hit by a car. I ignored the driver's honking, my eyes focused on Eli. I pushed past the shady looking guys, and grabbed him by the shoulders, turning him from side to side to make sure that he wasn't hurt.

"You okay?" I asked, cupping his face to see if there were any injuries on his smooth, pale skin. He looked surprised by my touch but shook his head.

"I'm fine, Thomas," he murmured. My head hung, letting out a sigh of relief.

"Who are you supposed to be?" smirked a voice. I turned around, almost forgetting the scenario. I blinked in surprise, looking around us. There were seven of them, all of them were holding either a cigarette or a half-drunken beer bottle.

This is what Eli called three or four?! I could handle a group fight on my own, but I'd need help for any number above five.

"What do you think you're doing, kid?" sneered one, stepping forward. I quickly pulled Eli behind me, my grip tightening around his wrist.

"Wandering the streets," I shrugged. "What about you boys?"

They ignored my question.

"We saw him first," the one in front of me said, jutting his chin towards Eli. "Find your own rich bitch to rob."

"He's not that rich," I lied. I felt Eli's glare burn a hole in my back but I didn't care.

"Since when do poor kids carry on the latest iPhone?" he laughed, waving Eli's phone in his hand.

"Alright, fine, you caught me," I said, raising my hands in the air. "Look, he doesn't have any money on him, trust me, he's not stupid enough to do that."

"What about you? Got any money?" he asked, studying me from head to toe, scanning my pockets with his eyes.

"Yeah, I just got back from a part-time. I was paid in cash. If I give it to you guys, we leave with no blood and bruises, yeah?"

The group glanced at each other and shrugged. They were poor and looking for money, not a fight.

"You like playing the hero, eh?" snickered one of them. I shrugged.

"Call it a personal hobby of mine."

"Alright, kiddo, hand over the good stuff and we'll let you off the hook."

I nodded, shoving a hand into my jean pocket.

"Thomas, don't," Eli whispered from behind. I ignored him, searching inside my pockets. Then I blinked, raising my face towards the gang of men.

"What?" they asked, reading my blank expression.

"I just remembered," I said. "I'm just as broke as you hooligans."