Chapter 20 - Ben

Chapter 20

It was no lie that growing up the Solo children were best of friends. Moving around so much starting from Chandrila where you were both born and all the way up to Naboo, where you finally settled when you were 10 and 14. You were all each other had, considering that there was never enough time to make lasting relationships with other kids your age. It was hard to grow up that way but that's what happens when you're born into an era of war and your mother is the one who people look up to to help fix it.

Even in his final moments, Ben Solo's best friend was still his little sister. Of course, like any brother/sister duo they would annoy each other and he would do it to the point where you got so frustrated you would cry; but he'd always say sorry and hold you tightly until you forgave him, which didn't take long at all - seconds really. You just enjoyed his warmth.

You will always remember one time when you were both on the Falcon and your mother had just taught you how to braid hair. She wasn't there and if it wasn't so matted, Chewie would have let you do it to his hair. But you were about to give up hope of practicing until Ben came around the corner to the horseshoe couch with a hair brush and an array or clips and elastic bands. For hours, you perfected your braids on his long hair, up until the point where he was so proud of you that he refused to take out the plaits for at least a week.

As any girl would know, plaits start to fray after at least a night of keeping them in. So, Ben - knowing how early you would wake to watch the sunrise on whatever planet Han had taken you to - woke up an hour before you did and spent that early hour re-doing the braids just so that you would be happy. His hair was massive when he finally took them out, hilariously so. But he didn't mind because he would see your smile when you saw him in the morning and the early start and the aching in his wrist and arms from the elevation up to the top of his head was worth it if it meant he could see your face light up.

You wonder if he could remember that memory, or had Snoke erased it from his mind?

Anyhow, the relationship between the young Solos was stronger than anyone could imagine. Mentally and physically. Together, your power combined could destroy or save worlds. So when Snoke found out about your survival, the cogs in his ballsack-like head started turning. He wouldn't kill Kylo Ren, no, that would be stupid. Instead, he would somehow work the two of you together and hence, creating his greatest weapon against the Resistance. He let out an evil laugh imagining the havoc you two could raise together, and also the pain it would cause your dear mother.

But that was a plan for a later time.

****

I watch as BB-8 gets lifted into the Black One, Poe jumping stealthily out of the x-wing and rushing around the other side. He pats Finn on the back and spots me from a few feet away. Even in preparation for a battle, he still manages to make my heart race just by smiling at me.

"Hey," pulling me into a quieter space close to the hangar, he wraps his arms around my waist. I rest my hands on his shoulders and sigh, resting my head against his chest.

"Hey," I look up and press a kiss to his jawline, which he returns with one on the top of my head. "You ready?"

"I think I should be the one asking you that," he chuckles, resting his chin on my head. "Are you ready?"

"I think so," I admit genuinely. "I want you to take this," pulling away from him but not escaping his grasp on my waist, I go to unclip the chain from around my neck.

"No, you have it," he pulls my hands down, frantically almost.

"But it's your good luck charm," he takes his hands in mine and kisses my knuckles, still slightly bruised for whatever reason.