Chapter Seventeen

It was Abigail's graduation day. She had graduated top of her class and Ian threw her a surprise graduation dinner to celebrate her success with only close friends and family present. The pair had been dating for quite some time now, and he felt it was time to do right by her. He intended on showing just how serious he was about her and their relationship that night.

He stood up to make a toast at the dinner table, gaining everyone's attention by clicking his glass with a spoon and cleared his throat to speak. He made a heartfelt speech that left Abigail close to tears.

“Thank you”, she stood up to engulf him in a hug, thanking him for everything he's done for her from the word go. He had been supportive towards her with her studies, pushed and encouraged her to study hard. He always stayed up with her all night when she had to study for exams and used that time to also catch up on some work.

She knew she could lean on him whenever she had to, because he was happily willing to do anything for her. He loved her, just as much as she loved him. They made each other happy, to them, it was all that mattered the most.

“I love you Abbie”, he breathed as they broke away from the hug. “From the first time I saw you, I just knew that I had to get to know you. There was something about you. You were-”

“Intriguing”, she finished his sentence for him laughing lightly

“Yes, intriguing”, he chuckled softly. “But once I got to spend more time with you, I learned that you are that and so much more. You're good for me. You make me a better person. I love being around you so much that when I'm not, I feel like I can't do well without you by my side. You've really grown on me Ms Haines and I want to spend the rest of my life with you, making you happy. I really do love you”, he watched as her features softened.

“I love you too”, she cupped his face in her hands, her lips curving into a smile before it faded a little when she noticed him going down on one knee. Everyone at the table grasped as he revealed a diamond engagement ring to her.

She was lost for words as it placed her hands over her mouth, tears pricking her eyes. She was overwhelmed with emotion as he held the box with the ring in it across her.

“Ian-”

“Will you make me the happiest man alive and agree to my wife, Ms Haines?”

“I don't know what to say”, she said quietly before their mothers chipped in

“Say yes. Say yes”, Ruby and Lucy stood to their feet, holding hands and almost jumping up and down. The two women quickly got along from the first day they were introduced to each other and the possibility that they could become family sparked something else in them. They were happy their children found love in each other again, the two of them deserved each other, they could see it.

“Marry me”, he smiled at her. She really hadn't thought about marriage, she and Ian hadn't talked that far. He always talked about making her his wife one day, but she always took it lightly, like he was joking. She never knew he would actually go ahead with it and propose to her.

But even so, she knew that there was nothing she would love more than spending the rest of her life with him. He accepted her with all her imperfections and flaws. He loved her for who she was. She was comfortable around him. She was safe and secure. He did really make her happy and was always there for her. There was no denying it, she loved him too, very much.

“Yes”, she nodded her head as a half-sob, half chuckle left her lips. He let out a breath he didn't even realize was holding in as he chuckled with relief before he quickly stood to his feet to claim his lips with hers before slipping the ring onto her finger. They engulfed each other in a tight bear hug before they faced their family and friends, who were clapping and cheering for them.