VIII

"It's clear he must have some sort of affection for you. Harry's threatened by men who come near you," Miranda says, my head resting on my hand as we sit at dinner.

"I'm just frustrated that he thinks he has this hold over me because we're, you know," I say, trying to explain. I don't feel as though I need to justify Harry's actions, but I don't have feelings for him. There is the possibility he has them for me.

"Soulmates," Brenna finishes for me, and I nod. My mind has been jostled for the past few weeks with everything. It feels like everything is happening so fast.

"Do you think that if you two held an adult conversation that this may end up being something?" Miranda asks, my shoulders shrugging. I don't want to think about the thought of Harry and I being more. It sickens me.

"I can't have one with him. He doesn't listen and I don't really either. It's a lose-lose situation," I explain, and Brenna laughs.

"Maybe be more open to the idea that soulmates should be together. There is a reason behind fate," she tries, my eyes rolling.

I pour myself another glass of wine, eating some of the bread given to us. Harry's green eyes have been haunting me for days now. His hand around my throat and those piercing green eyes are all I'm thinking about. The aggression doesn't scare me, but I don't think he understands that. He keeps doing it, and I don't think he's going to stop.

"Where does he work again? Aside from the bar?" Miranda asks, my hand setting the wine glass down after I've taken a sip. A hefty one, at that.

"Some auto body shop. He was smoking outside of it a few times while I was running. I avoided him after the first time," I explain. I've learned to walk on the other side of the building rather than his side, simply to avoid comments about my ass again.

"Ooh, a mechanic," Brenna says. "He likes getting his hands dirty."

The two laugh and I find myself amused, letting out a snort. I start to feel the urge to smoke again so I excuse myself, walking outside. My smoke break is no longer than usual and I make my way back inside.

"We talked while you were gone," Brenna says as I sit down.

"Oh yeah. What about?" I ask, taking a look at her. She and Miranda smile at each other and I look between them. This isn't good.

"Guys, what the fuck?" I say, and then I watch as Miranda nods her head to her left.

"When I said we, we didn't mean just the two of us," Brenna tells me, and I feel my stomach drop to the floor. Immediately, I whip my head to the left and I glare. Two green eyes stare right back at me, a dimple pressed in his cheek from his smirk.

My hand moves up and I give him the finger, only triggering him to laugh. The smirk remains on his lips and I turn to my friends.

"What the hell did he want?" I grit, trying to keep my voice down. The two of them are clearly enjoying this.

"He asked if he could be the one to take you home," Miranda tells me, Brenna nodding. My eyes are ready to bulge out of my face. They are literally devils.

"We said yes," Brenna smiles, and I damn near hit her.

"Bitches," I groan, sitting back in my chair. I reach for my wine glass and pound the rest of what was in it while they laugh at my anger.

"How bad could it be? He probably just wants to get to know you," Miranda suggests, and I puff out a breath of amusement.

"The boy probably just wants to piss me off even more," I sigh, but I just don't care at this point. I'm never going to escape him.

"Just see where it goes. We'll pay for the dinner tonight because we're bitches," Brenna says, and I smile. Good to know that they're paying because they owe me that much.

"Lovely. I'll see you two later. Watch as this asshole follows me out," I say, getting up and leaving the girls. As I make my way to the exit, I pull out my cigarettes and lighter from my purse. I light it up as soon as I'm outside, leaning against the brick wall.

"Gotta stop following me," I tell Harry as soon as he's outside. He just walks towards me, not saying anything, and lights his own cigarette.

"You already know why," he tells me, puffing out smoke. I push myself off the wall and we start walking the direction of my apartment.

"No I don't. You never told me," I reply, trying to get a reaction. He doesn't seem phased though; it's new.

"Well, for starters, the plain and simple reason is fate," he tells me, and I roll my eyes. I flick the ash from my cigarette and put it back in my lips. I don't talk; listening to his bullshit.

"Now, I don't know about you, but the who fate thing is fucked up," he tells me, and I purse my lips. I nod along.

"Can't believe I'm saying this but I agree with you," I tell him, his cigarette flicked to the ground.

"Lina, you're a fucking pain in the ass," he tells me, and I laugh. He probably didn't mean for it to be funny, which is why I find it to be so.

"And you're a fucking dick, so we're even," I say, finishing the last of my cigarette. I look up at him and he's already looking down at me, a smirk playing at his lips.

"You know, I never thought I'd be paired up with someone like you," he explains. "Always thought it'd be some blonde who'd beg for attention."

I think I just threw up a little. What a prick.

"Well, you got the opposite. Congratulations," I remark, making him laugh. I can't help but smile, not knowing why, however.

"If it makes you feel better, I didn't want to find you," I tell him, his arms lifting.

"How the fuck is that supposed to make me feel better?" he asks, but he's still smiling. I don't understand this man at all. I'm trying to offend him but he's finding it funny.

"I hate the world, Harry. I always have," I explain, stopping to look at him. He faces me as we stand on the sidewalk, the two of us the only ones outside.

"Lina, you don't get to just blame being a pain in the ass by saying you hate the world," he tells me, my eyes narrowing as I look at him. I take a step closer, my eyes staring into his.

"Watch me."