Part 22

Sal swung his head back to the camera and, without a beat, murmered "love you too".

I guessed it was with nonchalance as if a fan had said it, to avoid alarm from the other guys, but my face brightened and blushed and my heart beat 500 miles a minute. I couldn't believe what was happening. Was I a face that would be pictured with him with the caption 'mystery girl'? I smiled and smiled and smiled. But Sal carried on as normal, answering questions about where to visit in New York and what he's looking forward to when he goes home.

I internally panicked and allowed myself off to bed, time ticking past 9:12pm. The bus was still heaving forwards, only 1 hour left of the journey, so set our sights on the city tomorrow.

But first: sleep.

•••

"Rise and shine, wake up," Murr called from the middle aisle between the bunk beds. Sighs and groans and heaves came after, as Q pulled the duvet over his head and Joe attempted to get up, hanging half his body out of the bottom bunk, his legs still covered in the warmth.

"No, James, please stop," Joe yelled as he wriggled free and out of the duvet.

"All up and ready. We're in NEW YORK!"

In unison we all cheered and screamed and convinced ourselves to get up. I'd never visited New York before, so excitement coarsed through my blood.

Sal headed straight for his blender, chucking in the last of the fruit he had left, and loudly roaring it into a smoothie.

4 of us got dressed, while Sal pranced around in his matching pyjamas, practising his old bartender days and sharing the drink out for us in fancy cups with a single leaf on it. 'For the appearance' he explained. All 5 leaves ended up in the bin. 3 of the cups ended up in the bin.

I held onto mine, afraid to upset him, and drank it slowly. Possibly holding my nose when he wasn't looking to stop the taste.

Sal went to get dressed when I, too, threw mine away, smiling at the guys who seemed to have forgotten yesterdays falling out. 5 minutes later and we were ready to go, out of the car park and to the sights and our hotel.

"Right we have so many places we could go," Murr said.

"Dude, we live here," Sal said bluntly. "We can be tourguides but we've literally lived here 40 years."

We approached some tall buildings, definitely not skyscrapers but they were looming in the distance.

Sal and Q led in front, Murr behind then me and Joe.

"We practically know every street," Joe said, "been in every bar."

"Only James to the gay bars though," Q joked.

"I'm not," he said sharply, as if it was a regular, boring joke to him. "I did go in one by accident though. Made a great friend... Paul. He was really into meeting up again, not sure why."

"And did you meet up with him again?" Sal asked, smiling.

"Yeah, twice. Once to the same bar- then I found out it was a gay bar."

"And when you realised... you still met him a third time?" Sal laughed, finding this story way to amusing.

"Yeah, he was a nice guy."

"And you didn't think he was gay?"

"I guess the stockings and booty shorts should've given it away."

Sal laughed hysterically, with Joe chiming in to make fun of Murr and support Sal in case he fell over. We were suddenly at a huge park, with my senses correct must've been Central Park.

"We've filmed quite a few challenges here," Murr said, pointing to areas they'd been.

Q walked up to a lone football, and kicked it towards Joe. "You guys wanna play?"

He set the goal between two large stones and stood in goal. Joe and me against Sal and Murr.

Joe ran with the ball, in a wide semi-circle away from his opponents. Laughing as he was clear of people.

"You can't go that far," Sal objected, hands on his hips.

Joe shuffled closer, and watched me get into a clear space far right of both guys. He kicked sloppily towards my direction and sent me running to catch it, and, without much football experience, I confidently approached both Sal and Murr hurtling towards me as a kicked the ball in the goal.

Confidence gone as I realise I hadn't kicked a ball since I was 11, so the ball went rolling metres right of the goal.

"Turns out I forgot how to play," I objected.

"We're the Ronaldo's of football," Murr stopped, "wait..."

We must've played for at least half an hour, with the time rolling past 10am. Our hotel room was available after 2pm, and the guys were eager to get there. Puposely booked rooms on high floors for the 'best view', although Sal objected as he hated elevators. Especially ones you spend more than 20 seconds in. I agreed, the thought of levitating in the air 30 floors high in a box did definitely scare me. But the views would be worth it.

Q and Joe carried on playing, whilst Murr got a call. I sat out to catch my breath when, after a few minutes, Sal asked me to walk with him.

"I'm really sorry," I blurted out. "With the kiss and the message and... I saw the video and I was a mess and you said it didn't mean anything and was a mistake and you're so right..."

"Stop," he stopped in his tracks until I stopped to breathe, "before you try and clear things up, maybe I should too. Yes, it wasn't the right time or place, and definitely over-intoxicated, but I stopped because... would it have been taking advantage if I allowed you to keep going?"

"I think the throwing up meant I was beyong comprehension." I agreed. "But then I thought it over and realised it was what I wanted to do."

"I know." He stopped again, looking at me in the eyes. The New York sun streamed through the trees and onto his emerald green eyes. "I wanted it too."

My face blushed to a dark red- I guessed- as glee overcame me and felt the urge to hug him for hours. But it was too public. The guys were definitely suspicious, and I'm sure they could wait until after the tour. If anything was to happen.

It was crazy, he was older and richer and a lot more high profile than I'll ever be. My parents would've been surprised if I'd managed to convince a homeless guy to date me, or perhaps a convict or something. But to come home with an amazing, kind, funny guy who also happens to be on our TV would be indescribable. But I was way over my head. Need to chill. And none of us have spoken in minutes. I hope the same thoughts were going through his head.

"And the comment I left..."

"Don't even think about apologising," he said bluntly. "It made me dream about you."

"Really?" I beamed.

"Nothing weird. Just, me and you on stage at Madison Square Garden and we just kind of looked out onto the stage."

"Sounds beautiful."

"I want you to be there with me when we say goodbye tomorrow."